1969 Mustang Shelby Chin Spoiler on a Maverick

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Craig Selvey, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I posted (4) pictures in the very first thread. Did you see those? I am still a little confused.

2. Shaun MAVMOD

Shaun MAVMOD Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 1970 Maverick
    It appears to be a great fit. It doesn't look like its almost falling off like some do. I like it.

3. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    O.K.....here are some more pictures:

72c_spoiler_7.jpg

72c_spolier_6.jpg

72c_spoiler_5.jpg

4. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Thanks Craig, now I want an orange Grabber to go with the chin spoiler:rolleyes:

5. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    Awesome Craig. Im with MavGrab302! :) Thanks for your time and effort to post the additional pics. Helps those of us looking to see just how it looks with the entire car.
    As usual, much appreciated.

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I was going to post this one, but I forgot.
    [​IMG]

7. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:

No problem....glad I could help. (y)

8. John B

John B Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Mav
    I spoke to someone at Tony D. Branda Performance on Friday to see about getting a call when they got some plastic spoilers in. I was told that they had no leads on plastic spoilers at this time and weren't maintaining such a list.
    Just wondering; the originals, as equipped on a Shelby, would have been plastic, wouldn't they? If I'm right about this, why would you put a glass spoiler on a genny Shelby? Seems to me they're going to have to get some plastic ones from somewhere sooner or later, or someone else will be filling the need.

9. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    I have no idea what the original 1970 Shelby spoiler was made of. It would be interesting to know that.

10. MavMark

MavMark Mega Modifier

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber, 351w,EFI,A/C, RRS Rack, Power Everything :)
    Okay, so I decided I really liked the look of Craig's front spoiler so I "stole" this idea. :)

I didn't want to take 'no' for an answer as far as not being able to get a plastic spoiler, so I spent some time searching high and low. The only one I found available was on Ebay for over $500. Since that wasn't gonna happen, I decided to go with the fiberglass one from Mustangs Unlimited. It is $89.95, and with oversized item shipping the total was somewhere around $124. Here's the link:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=QF19080+01

The page above claims the original Shelby spoilers were made of plastic, and I also found that info elsewhere,for what it's worth.

This particular fiberglass piece comes ready to mount right out of the box and has texture to it similar to the plastic one. I found the quality to be very nice.

I mocked up the spoiler to the front valance and tested all kinds of different mounting points, but ended up mounting it in just about the same position that Craig did. The mounting tabs provided were not even close to where they needed to be, so I picked up some #10 screws with nylon insert nuts from Lowe's and drilled a series of approximately 1/8" holes to mount the spoiler. The passenger side of the valance was distorted a bit, so I had to pull on the bottom of it somewhat to get it to line up to the contour of the spoiler. I always knew that side was a little off, but it was not noticable until trying to match the spoiler up to it.

I really like the result. I probably would rather have had the plastic spoiler since it probably would resist shattering on impact with something, but I didn't feel like waiting for a plastic one that might never be produced...and I think the fiberglass one looks fine.

Here are a few pics...not the best, but what I've got for now (yes...they are all pictures of my car, but my camera phone was getting screwed up with the fluorescent lighting):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  11. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    thanks for the pics!
    i have the exact same spoiler lying around waiting to be installed. can you post a few shots of the places where you mounted it from underneath?

12. MavMark

MavMark Mega Modifier

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber, 351w,EFI,A/C, RRS Rack, Power Everything :)

As I was posting this I realized I never took an pictures of the actual mounting points, which is exactly what I wanted to see when I was putting this thing on. :)

I'll take a few and post them when I get a chance...

13. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Mark....that looks great...if I say so myself.

1972 Ford Maverick Grabber Spoiler Cragar Club
    Membership: 2

:D

14. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Looks like it was factory option. Im going to consider putting one on my car.
    1.) Did u install it w/ the valance on the car?
    2.) How many fastners were used?
    3.) Any noticable changes in operation parameters of the car "by that - I mean" engine cooling, wind noise, steering or just anything u might have noticed?

15. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:

1. Yes...I installed it with the valence on the car.
    2. I installed mine with the same 7/16" headed bolts and j-nuts that hold the front valence to the bottom of the front fenders. I used approx 5 or 6 (I don't recall off hand)
    3. I haven't really noticed any difference. of course...I have probably only driven the car 200 miles since the install. Spends most of it's time as a "trailer queen". :D