1972 Maverick Grabber Resto/Mod for my Dad

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Cruzin Illusion, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    After the floors were welded up and the welds ground flat, we cleaned them edges up and preped the floors for primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting them areas prepped. We sprayed down a new coat of primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
  3. slick

slick Member

Vehicle:
    73 comet, 72 maverick
    ...:drool:...:bowdown:...

4. Derek 5oComet

Derek 5oComet Tire burner

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet ,5.0L,5spd,9",3.89 trac lock, 12.40@110, 1967 Mercury Cougar 390 stick,1985 Mercury Capri 5.0,5 speed,1979 F150 4x4 460,1992 F150 Flareside,99 F250 SuperDuty V10
    Impressive! Very nice work!!

5. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    That is exactly the same repairs I need to do... great job! Definitely saving this thread. (y)

6. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    The car is looking awesome....

7. Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Guy's outstanding job, I am extremely jealous of your skills and being able to do most of this yourself without too much sourcing out. I always had the mechanical skills, just never picked up the body work half.

8. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    Damn thats a hard core resto.

9. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Building a Custom Grille

I have been thinking about building a custom grille for the 1972 Maverick Grabber I have been restoring for my Dad. I have been using a rendering that I have found on the internet as my plateform for this build. It will be the same color and design.

[​IMG]

A big part of getting the Maverick to resemble the rendition is the grille with round driving lights.

I seen a grille that was very simular to this one done by PART-TIME. After a phone conversation with him, I had a good base to start from.

First I would need a medalion grille. After some looking I found one about 1 1/2 hours away.

[​IMG]

The first thing was to remove the medalion part of the grille. I used a hacksaw blade with a handle and carefully cut through the plastic fins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Once the center portion was removed I took a dremel and sanded down the tabs that remained leaving a clean square opening.

[​IMG]

The next step was to fill in the area I just removed with slats and fins so it looks like it the center section of a grabber grille.

I found a grille from a 1972 grabber that was less than perfect to section out the center section to use to fill in the opening of the medalion grille.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The medalion grille and the grabber grille have different molding styles. The medalion grille has flatter slats then the grabber grille. To make them both look the same I hand sanded the front face of the cut out section till the forward face was the same flat thickness.

11. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    After numerous minor adjustments to the donor piece to get it to fit just right. I slid it into place and used a few drops of super glue to hold it in place, till I can epoxy it in when I am finished fabricating all the pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    The next part of the build was to to decide on what location to place the lights in the grille and to decide on just cutting the openings for the lights or to incase the lights into the grille much like the rectangle lights on the later grilles.

After laying out a 4" circle template on the grille I decided to place the lights towards the outward sided of the grille. I also decided that I would incase the lights in a circular housing to give more of a factory designed feel to the grille.

After marking out a close proximity of the area of the material I was using to incase the 4" lights, I used tin snips, hacksaw blade on a handle, and a dremel to cut the section out for the light housing making sure that each slat was cut at the proper angle so the light housing would face forward and level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Once I got the first side to fit I started on the second side. The second side took about 1/4 the time just because I had the correct angles to have the housing at the correct angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tacked in the pieces to ensure I had them at the right angles to so they were level a straight ahead. I them marked the back side so I knew where to cut and trim them so when they are permanently installed they will be flush on the back side of the grille.

After getting them marked I pulled the housings back out and cut them down using a multi-tool. I them hand sanded them flat on a sanding board I built.

After they fit perfect in the openings in the grille I use super glue to hold into place until I was ready to epoxy them into place.

14. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    I received the PIAA 5192 4" Xteme White SMR Driving lights that I ordered. I couldn't wait to see how they looked in the fabricated housings.

I placed them in the housings to get a general idea.

They look pretty good to me. What do you guys think???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sam03rc [​IMG]
    Looking good man

What kind of epoxy you useing?

Loctite Epoxy for plastic. It is a 2 part that sets up in 20 minutes. I am in the process of looking for plastic syringe to apply the epoxy so I am hoping that I can apply it without making to much of a mess to clean up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Resto [​IMG]
    Very nice. I was thinking of doing the round lights in a grill Im making. Ill be interested in seeing your progress.:thumbs2:

Most of the progress is done except for applying the epoxy, scuffing up the grille, apply bulldog adhesion promoter and painting it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryant [​IMG]
    what lights are you putting in the holes?

PIAA 510 Xtreme White Plus SMR lights and wiring kit. They are really nice lights and one of the few upper end companies that sell lights that are 4".