jok3r2k submitted a new car to the Garage :

1973 Maverick Grabber

Read more about this garage here...

2. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Your description makes your Maverick seem far worse than it appears. Fine looking car!

Welcome to the website from northeast Ohio!!!

jok3r2k and Krazy Comet like this.
  3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    That's a great looking Mav!!

I understand the aggravation of items malfunctioning, leaks etc, just have to remember few of these old cars are perfect.

For instance, dependant on year, backup lights/neutral safety sw could be mounted on steering column, transmission or in shifter if factory floor shift. Just a matter of determining what's best for new setup(obviously not column). While door electric locks(remote?) are nice on newer vehicles, I don't have them on my older vehicles & no desire to install. I can repair about anything electrical and still don't want them.

I would be concerned about this leak under car.... ;)

mavreflection.JPG

jok3r2k likes this.
  4. jok3r2k

jok3r2k Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    !973 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Thanks for the warm welcome from Denver!

The car definitely looks sorted from 10 feet away, but on closer inspection the paint needs work, the fit and finish is just not what it should be. It’s great as a family project but not what my ultimate vision for the car is and definitely nothing like your car. Looking forward to sharing any and all work I do to it over the coming years.

Hotrock likes this.
  5. jok3r2k

jok3r2k Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    !973 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Thanks for the kind words! I wasn’t expecting perfect, I had a professional inspector give the car a once over as I bought it from California and shipped it to Denver so I had a good idea of what mechanical gremlins I was inheriting. It’ll never be “perfect” and according my better half “always be a money pit” but it’ll make me happy none the less.

For the reverse lights, I believe I’ll have to attach something to the shift linkage to trip the lights but haven’t gone deep enough into the car to know 100%.
    The door locks are remote activated which is convenient but unnecessary, if I can’t get them fixed and working as intended I’ll replace will original lock hardware (which was all removed).

I think they call that leak, overzealous cleaning prior to potential buyer showing up ;) however it had a worse effect because there is no weatherstripping on the trunk and I had a puddle of water to clean out.

You’ve done some amazing work with your 72 comet, I’ll have to pick your brain about motors in the future. For now, the only question I have is does someone, anyone have the part # for the reservoirs in the engine bay? Mine look like someone’s taken a heat gun to them.

6. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Here are the links to the websites of two major suppliers of parts for our cars:

https://www.autokrafters.com/

https://www.melvinsclassicfordparts.com/

Members of this site have a collection of Maverick and Comet parts cars, most notable being Craig Selvey.

Craig Selvey

Best Contact Method: email

421 E. State St.

Albany, IN 47320

(765) 744-9225

Email: Craig@MaverickCorral.com

Used Maverick Parts, parting out over 30 Maverick and Comets. Cars have been dismantled and parts stored. Unable to ship large body panels.

Craig Selvey likes this.
  7. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Welcome to the forum! That is a beautiful car....and yes, like the wife said, they are money pits. As long as you understand that up front, its all good. There are worse things to spend money on......