1974 Comet With Maverick Hood And Small Bumpers.

Average User Rating:
4/5,
Ownership Satus:
Currently own it
Year:
Engine:
302 - 8 cylinder
Color:
blue
  1. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    stumanchu submitted a new car to the Garage :

1974 Comet With Maverick Hood And Small Bumpers.

Read more about this garage here...

2. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    This project is coming up on its one year anniversary. I am looking forward to good weather in the Spring to dive into it again. It still needs exhaust, trans cooler install, c4 column shift linkage sorted out, engine wiring, battery box (maybe re-locate to trunk), Throttle cable install, kickdown sorted out, and misc. interior parts installed. once the car is in one piece and running, I plan to move it to the driveway to rebuild the front suspension and do a granada disc brake swap and possibly a Shelby drop. I want to drive it a little bit first to see how it feels before changing the suspension, so that a difference can be noticed or not. I have also acquired a 3.25 trac loc dif to swap the open 2.79 with. These things along with more applications of POR15 inside the doors and front fenders will probably round out my summer agenda. We shall see!

3. skipsgrabber

skipsgrabber Should've had wrenches instead of hands

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    Looks good... You started with more than I did... Keep up the good work!

4. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! It is getting close to driveable. Lol, I have never even drove a Maverick before, But I have done enough to it that I will like it no matter how it drives.

5. skipsgrabber

skipsgrabber Should've had wrenches instead of hands

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    I understand... Someone recently asked how much I'd think about selling mine for,my reply was "As much labor as I've put into this car,it's home"... Best of luck

Shorty likes this.
  6. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The second summer was very fruitful in the building process. A 3" mandrel bent single exhaust was fabbed off the headers, Taurus fan with volvo controller installed, front end rebuilt with a 1" shelby drop, new stock control arms, new tie rod ends, and Granada disc brakes, Granada column shift cable, 4 US indy slots home polished plus some very good used tires, and all necessary under the hood parts were installed to make it a running car. Alignment is almost where I want it, the saginaw PS pump got washers installed in the pressure relief valve, and the 3.25 trac loc is in. The timing curve in the factory distributor is dialed in at 24 initial, 12 mechanical, and 10 vacuum. Up next is another Carburetor re-build, junk yard tfi ignition, 1/8 " more caster shim, alignment, new shocks, belly bar, tach, and a gauge set. If the Holley doesnt work out on the second try, I have an Edelbrock to mess with too. I will get to drive it a lot more next summer.....and it is slowly becoming a nicer driving car! Total cost has been kept down by using junk parts when available, and yours truly doing the work.....sometimes twice because, because....

7. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    the third summer I had less cash to use, but I did rebuild, adjust, and instal a good holley 600 vac secondary carb and it finally works. Point fired TFI ignition was installed, and the lack of a choke is no problem with that kind of spark power. Runs very smooth, and I am very pleased with that upgrade. I found a kickdown rod at P&P,and with that installed there is no 2-3 shift flare at WOT. Front end alignment was improved with more adjusting, and a trip to a capable line up shop is now in order. After that, and a driveline balance, I may have a car that will do a road trip in relaxed fashion.