1976 comet to 1973 bumper swap

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by redfivexw, May 21, 2017.

1. redfivexw

redfivexw Member

I just finished installing the front bumper assembly!

Attached Files:

2. redfivexw

redfivexw Member

before

Attached Files:

3. redfivexw

redfivexw Member

Rear view (with the original quarter extensions set in, I am going to install ones from a 70, but these would actually work ok as is

Attached Files:

4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I hate to be the one to give you GREAT NEWS .... that front bumper is not a 73 bumper. That is a 71-72 Comet front bumper. MUCH harder to find. In 25 years I have only run across 2 other sets, apart from the one that came on my car. Obviously, no bumper tuck needed.

The rear bumper does look like it came off of a 73 because it sticks out a bit from the body. Earlier Maverick or Comet mounts would tuck that in. The same bumper was used, but 73 cars had thicker mounts.

I think that donor car is a 73, but might have had the front pieces replaced with earlier parts.

If the grille in the donor car is decent, someone will want that. Comet grilles aren't that easy to find.

I like the Mercury dog dish hubcaps, too. If you are going to some other wheels, those caps are popular with the rat rod crowd. I have sold some of those for stoopid money.

5. redfivexw

redfivexw Member

When i finished installing the front bumper, i thought that it seemed very well tucked in and was wondering what everyone was complaining about! I thought the guards only came on the 73 models (i took them off).

6. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Look at the guards on my front bumper in my sig picture. That bumper is now gone, and I have a nice plain Comet bumper waiting to take it's place. My car came with rear bumper guards too.

7. Lee Richart

Lee Richart Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick LDO 421W
    I realize this is an older post, but thought I would throw in my two cents. I tucked my bumper 2 1/2 inches by taking that much out of the bracket and rewelding it. I chose 2 1/2 inches because I wanted to leave the side marker lights exposed. Then I just trimmed the gravel shield. I think it came out very good. We also tucked my sons 73 Comet 3 inches to get to the same point. We needed 3 inches because the Comet bumper sticks out further because of the shape of the grille. The 73 Maverick and Comet bumpers look exactly the same to me.
    Lee "THE MAV" Richart

Crazy Larry likes this.