1976 Maverick 2.3 swap

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by carnageX12, Mar 16, 2012.

1. carnageX12

carnageX12 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    So after getting my carb rebuilt, replacing the gas tank, and doing a tune up, I wasn't satisfied with the performance or mpg of the 250. I did notice that the carb leaked erratically, but didn't really feel like playing with it anymore. I'm new to learning about cars and from what I read the carb didn't sound like it was for me. I thought about doing a throttle body injector swap but most kits cost about $1100 and wasn't sure if that was going to improve the mpg. I started thinking about putting in a more modern engine, maybe a v6, but wasn't sure where to begin. Then I came across the article on modified mustangs that talked about the 2.3l turbo swap that maverick88tc did, and it seemed like a good swap to do. I was going to just get the engine but managed to find an 88 turbo coupe engine and transmission with driveshaft and wiring harness with computer fairly close by, and since I did miss driving a manual car, decided to get it. I cleaned up the engine and then yesterday pulled out the old engine and transmission. I'm hoping next week to clean and prime the engine bay and replace gaskets and paint new engine, maybe do a test fit first. I still need to track down a correct oil pan, replace the , I also need to find a good brand for the clutch pedal. Also anyone know if possible to adapt the gauge cluster out of an 88 turbo coupe and get it to work, I saw one on ebay but the socket didn't match any plug I had so guessing there is another group of wires.
    2012-03-03_14.57.36.jpg 2012-03-16_08.47.52.jpg 2012-03-16_08.50.04.jpg

2. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    that will be sweet when your done. i've toyed with doing the same swap on my dailey to get better gas milage. keep us informed.

3. Fordcustom

Fordcustom Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    The IHI turbo will spool quicker but you should look into a T3/T4 hybrid. The 87/88 TC computer was the only one mapped for the intercooler and and should be capable of handling 300hp at roughly 20PSI. 2.5" exhaust is what you will want. you may pull the upper intake off and gut the junk between the 4 runner holes and sharpen the lower intake where it ties into the upper. You can upgrade the VAF to a MAF that will pug into the harness. there is a wire that goes to the computer that advances the timing and the boost control solenoid, that went from 9 to 12 psi of boost when you switched it and ran premium gas.

4. carnageX12

carnageX12 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Thanks for all the info. Sounds like you pretty familiar with this engine. I'm not much of a car guy, but my neighbor that is helping me is, he was making some suggestions on how to improve the turbo. He mentioned a couple of things but this seems more in depth I will need to let him know about this info. Thanks again.

5. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    You will have to rewire the cluster to make it work. Nothing on these type swaps just plug in but it is do-able. A good reading suggestion is How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection. There are others as well that can give you many suggestions and wiring requirements. I agree with the previous post with regard to the turbo but unless you are very familiar with how these systems work, I would get it running with the existing components and upgrade after you get the bugs worked out. That's a swap I also want to do at one point. Good Luck!:thumbs2:

6. carnageX12

carnageX12 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Update

So it has been a while since I have updated this thread but I have been working on it. I scrubbed away the oil and grease with these..
    2012-03-19_19.00.03.jpg
    and ended up with
    2012-04-15_17.54.49_original.jpg
    I then eventually got ahold of a die grinder and got rid of surface rust
    2012-04-18_16.15.49_original.jpg
    and then primed the engine compartment
    2012-04-20_11.33.51_original.jpg
    I even found time to rebuild the rag joint
    2012-04-20_11.33.28_original.jpg
    But now I came across a problem. I think I miscalculated how easy this motor will fit.
    2012-04-25_17.40.02_original.jpg 2012-04-25_17.40.20_original.jpg 2012-04-25_17.42.14_original.jpg 2012-04-25_17.43.04_original.jpg 2012-04-25_17.41.18_original.jpg
    When I rechecked the article that inspired me to do this swap I see that it had been taken apart for the mock up. Not so much a problem but while trying to get it in there I have concerns that the stock turbo won't fit without shaving the towers. A friend suggested flipping the exhaust that would raise the turbo height and another friend suggested an L tube to raise the height. I also have concerns about the power steering and oil filter fitting correctly, and that does not even take in account the a/c condenser. I,m also trying to find a good inline fuel pump and a hydraulic clutch that would fit the manual maverick brake clutch assembly. Looks like I need to do a bit more research. If anyone has any insight on the engine or suggestions for the parts, I'm all ears.

7. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ...and you haven't gotten to the transmission, clutch, pedals and exhaust yet...:yup:

8. carnageX12

carnageX12 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    I know, I was hoping the engine would lay low so I left the transmission attached thinking I could raise up to proper height and only have to cut the tunnel in the exact place for the transmission. I bought the factory clutch and brake assembly and should get that by end of next week. If I get the default slave cylinder for the transmission then I would only have to modify a master cylinder. One of my neighbors is a welder and used to work in a body shop, so not too worried about exhaust yet. He suggested shaving the shock towers but I wanted to avoid that if possible. A lot to do still.

9. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Rangers have the same packaging problems when installing this eng/trans in a early Ranger pickup. You might do a search and see what you come up with on the header/manifold. As far as the P/S, AC, and alternator is concerned, the 2.3 accepts several different accessory drive options so don't let that be a limiting factor. I don't see why you couldn't use the slave from the trans and a Wilwood or CNC clutch master cylinder on the Maverick pedal assembly like the guys doing the T5 swaps.

10. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    As for the oil filter, you can always do a remote system to get it out of the way.

11. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    Remove the oil cooler and use the fl300 filter (short) if that doesnt clear use a ford racing 90* adapter (same as sbf)
    You look to will need a log style manifold like guys use in ranger pickups that move the turbo forward

I cant really see the fitment as to where the motor is sitting in the compartment

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  12. carnageX12

carnageX12 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Update

This project seems to just be dragging on. So I have been getting all the parts I believe I need. I am going to get the motor mounts made in the next week hopefully and thought I had the motor in the right place but when I went to put back on the starter I noticed it was hitting the tie rod. So not sure if I should raise the motor to clear, or try to find a shorter starter. Anyone with insight or an opinion let me know.

13. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    A late model ranger 2.3 starter will be smaller as it is a "mini" starter

14. carnageX12

carnageX12 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Wow that was a fast response. Thank you for all the advice you've given me.

15. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    No problem at all it may give you enough clearance over the big starter