1978 Mavmobile

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by HektorK36, Nov 12, 2022.

1. HektorK36

HektorK36 Member

Vehicle:
    1978 Maverick
    My dad bought this 78' maverick in 99' to be my school car, we never got around to it. He had 4 more kids after me so this project kidna got put on the back burner. The plan is to take out the I6 because it is toast and take put an Olds 350 in it. Has anyone put an Olds 350 in a Maverick before?

2. BradKuz76

BradKuz76 New Member

Vehicle:
    4 door Maverick
    The guy I bought the car from ($1) said it was a '78. Guess '78 Mavs don't exist because they stopped in '77. So it's a '77 or '78. Body's in pretty good shape. Yeah, I'm Dad.

3. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Welcome to the forum --- from northern east Illinois!:Welcome:
    Do you have much experience swapping engines, esp., those that were not native to the manufactor? If not, forgot the Olds and go with SBF. This is not something for a novice!

Shorty likes this.
  4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :Welcome:...:Handshake:

BradKuz76 likes this.
  5. BradKuz76

BradKuz76 New Member

Vehicle:
    4 door Maverick
    Yes, I am an ASE certified mechanic, been doing this stuff all my life. I just wondered if any of y'all have done any thing but a Ford in your fords. I'm not a brand guy of any kind really. I think everything is junk, probably because all I do is work on cars. I remember measuring across the towers when I was a young man and measuring all the engines I had available and the olds was the one to fit the best. I never got any farther than that. Oil pan, exhaust, or trans all have ? On them.

6. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Well, seems like your well experienced/qualified for the job. Several here have done Chevy LS swap successfully; if, you do the Old’s probably be a first. Be interesting following your project. Go For It…

HektorK36 likes this.
  7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    No 1978 Maverick, replaced by all new fox body Fairmont.

Maverick's engine bay is small, the 289/302 fit comfortably, 351 is a squeeze. I'm guessing the Olds 350 is physically larger than the Ford 351, same architecture was used for Olds' 350 Diesel(owned a couple in '80s).

Reportedly the 350 Olds has a 9.33" deck height, Ford 351 9.5", width is going to be similar. Kicker is Olds could be had with as large as 4.35" bore(403) in the same block as used for 350, no doubt the Olds is longer.

8. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    If it's a '78, it's a South American model, and would have small bumpers and no side marker lights (pictures would help). '77 was the last year for USA Mavericks/Comets.
    An olds swap is a can of worms, and illogical since a Ford 351w would make the same power, and fit with less fabrication...

9. HektorK36

HektorK36 Member

Vehicle:
    1978 Maverick
    Pretty sure it is a 77' I just knew it was around that year. I going with an Olds 350 bc thats what I have to work with.

10. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    Well unless you also have a lot of money to work with, it's gonna be a nightmare...

11. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    Spring towers will have to be cut back (or removed, which would require after-market suspension), stock spring rate will not handle the weight, starter is on the wrong side, fuel pump is on the wrong side, distributor may or may not clear the firewall, a custom radiator will be required, A B.O.P transmission will be required, and probably won't fit without fabrication, custom headers, custom motor mounts, custom front sump oil pan, etc, etc, etc, etc.

My suggestion is to gather as much information from this site as you can, from guys who have been working on and modifying these cars for as much as 40 years...

Craig Selvey, dyent, Shorty and 2 others like this.