2dr sub enclosure

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hacksaw415, May 12, 2008.

1. hacksaw415

hacksaw415 Member

Vehicle:
    75 booger green mav
    so i pulled the huge plastic panels next to the back seat and theres hella space in there. has anyone ever put a speaker in there? im thinking about fiberglassin sumpthin up cus my plastics need sum work. any ideas?:burnout:

2. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Well, you could work on your spelling....
    JOKING! The only problem with speakers in that position is that your passengers would bounce from one side to the other. Sounds like an exccelent idea!

3. hacksaw415

hacksaw415 Member

Vehicle:
    75 booger green mav
    Well, you could work on not being a douche. i spell checked tht one. and thank you. but dont wory ill post sum pics when im done.

4. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    73 four door, 74 starsky&hutch mav, a 93SHO, an 03 gt, and a 94 gt
    might wanna calm down:thumbs2:

5. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Are those the rear sidepanels or is it the "hat-shelf" between the rear window and seats you're talking about?

6. NAFORD302

NAFORD302 Member

Vehicle:
    77 FACTORY V8 AC CAR
    :chillpill:jumping::jumping2::Ifireworks:We Are Here To Have Fun Lighten Up

7. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    73 four door, 74 starsky&hutch mav, a 93SHO, an 03 gt, and a 94 gt
    i do agree!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

8. hacksaw415

hacksaw415 Member

Vehicle:
    75 booger green mav
    sorry guys tht was fun, and yeah it is the side panels, i dont think i could do anything in that half shelf. theres almost 2 square feet of air behind the plastic there on the side.

sory paul for the crucial burn. ive alwayse hated it when people corect my spelling. in school i figured you didnt need to know how to spell to talk to girls, so i didnt. inner city education.

9. curtisc

curtisc Member

Vehicle:
    1978 F-150, 1971 Maverick, 79 Bronco
    I don't know how much experience you have in speaker/enclosure design, so don't be offended if i talk under your experience level.

while it is possible to put a sub there, you really need to seal the area from the trunk. if you don't, you will end up with frequencies that cancel each other out when they become out of phase from the distance between the speakers. It will also turn the rear deck speakers into passive radiator (BAD!) and hurt the overall efficiency of the system.

Next, you will need to fatmat/dynomat the inside of the fender, probably 2-3 layers to give it enough mass not be vibrate excessively.

Your inside panel will need to be air tight also to prevent buzzes and frequency cancellations. You can have a port if you want (or the design calls for it), but don't let sloppy seams be your 'port'. I would suggest making it out of fiberglass.

The idea is very do-able, and will deaf-antly be had on any backseat passengers. :thumbs2:

10. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Hacksaw,
    relax man, I take it all as fun unless someone gets real angry. I was raised with 11 other kids and we ragged on each other all the time. It was all part of living and loving. Besides I was the one who ragged first, that too was in jest - I just couldn't resist it - got any suggestions?
    YES!
    As long as you're OK then no harm done.

11. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Of course not, silly me, not reading carefully enough; Didn't get that you were thinking of putting SUBS in there :slap: Of course I don't think you could put any subs in the shelf, was thinking it was about speakers :p
    Was thinking of one or two 10" or 12" subs in the trunk and a couple of 6x9"s in that shelf myself :)

12. 19BlacK77

19BlacK77 Member

Actually I think a square 10" sub would fit very nicely in the hole where the rear defrosters went. :yup: But it would be facing the back glass so it probably wouldnt do much good. I've got one 10" sub in a nice ported box in the trunk and its ALL I need.

13. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Probably :p But, who puts subs in that shelf? :p It seems so scronny, doubt it'll hande a little punch.
    What sub do you have? Was thinking I'd just buy a set with a cabinet and everything myself, not looking for more than a little "bottom" to my music.

14. 19BlacK77

19BlacK77 Member

I have a 1000 watt 10" Rockford HX2 sub in a good ported box (really the box is about the most important thing) with a 180 watt JBL amp. It hits really hard when you want it too but its really under powered with the 180 amp right now. At the moment I have the sub turned on a -3 and it still hits pretty good and it gives you the low tones that your other speakers cant.

15. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Since we are on the topic, I have been thinking of putting a couple of 10s or 12 on this...

[​IMG]

Took the back seat out and made a 1/2" plywood floor and back for my dog to stand on when she rides. I always wondered if 2 subs would do the cancel out thing. Maybe just one 12" or bigger in the middle? Making my entire trunk be the box?

I have jute inside all metal surfaces, floor, inside the quarters, and in the trunk, so I should have minimal rattle.

Any suggestions, comments, yeas or nays?