2dr sub enclosure

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hacksaw415, May 12, 2008.

1. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    1/2" plywood is prob not sturdy enough for any real speakers to be mounted to without additional bracing. You could however seal the rear shelf and mount 2 free-air 12's on the rear seat delete. Make sure you have the polarity the same on each that way they will not cancel each other out.

2. curtisc

curtisc Member

Vehicle:
    1978 F-150, 1971 Maverick, 79 Bronco
    For the width of the maverick, you will not have noticeable cancellations in that short of distance. the bigger issue would be avoiding the diagonal braces behind the seat, if you wanted 2 subs in that back board.

Now for using the trunk has a box... probably not the best idea. It can be done, but it's such a large volume that most subs will not work correctly. most importantly, there will be so many air leaks at it would not really be a box. also, if you have speakers in the rear shelf, it will turn those into passive radiators and further degrade the system.

I would suggest building enclosures in the trunk and attaching them to your back vertical'ish board. then you are controlling the volume of the box (in turn the response) and how leaky they are.

For my eventual subs, i am going to build an enclosure that fits behind the seat, on top of the axle hump. that space looks to be about the right volume for an JL 10W7, witch is more than enough sub for my '01 malibu:dancing:(ya i know it's a chevy, but ford wasn't making good midsized cars then...or now)

3. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    3 10's 1000 watts

[​IMG]

I thought about getting rid of the back seat since I hate carrying people back there anyway but it would have been too much fabrication and added weight to make it look right.

4. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Wow! How did you fabricate and set everything up back there?

5. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    i put 2 jl audio subs and 2 infinity 6x9s in the rear deck, and built a box for the bottom of the subs in the trunk. i replaced the deck with thicker steel,you could also use wood too ive done that a long time ago in high school. i would post pics but i cant download them on here.

6. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I wouldn't mind seeing pics of that, could you possibly send them to me?

7. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    upload the photos to Photobucket and paste "image" code into your reply. The image will show up after you hit post.

8. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Would mind seeing more pics of your setup either GrabberGT, looks awesome..

9. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    or email the pictures to me, I can resize them and host them for you.

scooper at shilohtreatmentcenter dot com (direct link in my profile)

10. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Unfortunately I dont have any detailed pics of the process/build. I will however be rebuilding the trunk to make room for a second amp in the near future as well as building a custom console and kick panel enclosures. I'll try to get lots of pics and post them up.

11. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Basically, I just wanted to know how you did it :p How you fabricated things etc.

12. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    i sent scooper a couple of older pics , ill have to get a couple of newer ones now that i almost have the car done

13. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Its basically a box that is lined on the inside that you are looking down into.

Start with a frame using 1x2's (or whatever wood fits your design) for a false floor and sides then build the walls. I used hinges on the sides so that I could still gain access to the fender wells for storage. The section behind the rear seat is walled off by the sub enclosure. I built it as a wedge box to fit as snug as possible against the rear seat to get the most volume I could in the box. I'm sure the box design does not meet the recommended volume for those speakers but with 3 of them and enough watts, you get all the sound you can handle pretty easily regardless.

14. dspr

dspr Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    So you've just built a floor and walls inside the trunk, with hinges on each side to be able to get into the "trunk-valleys" ?
    Is the box curved and built to match the lines of the trunk behind the seats?
    How is the box attached to the trunk? And the plate with the window for the subs is just a little thing to make it look a little nicer right?
    Also, did you cover the entire trunk with cloth?
    Sorry for asking so many questions, just haven't thought much about installing a soundsystem yet, since I have a couple of other things to do on my car first. One of them is actually surface rust in the trunk :p

15. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Yes

Yes and also the floor and rear shelf. There are no right angles on this box.

L-brackets on the sides and bolted directly to the diagonal braces behind the seat.

Yes. Its a trim piece.

Yup