302 V8 Tranny Vacuum Lines

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Corbin Johnson, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    I am pretty sure I know where to hook these up, but I don't know for sure. There are two lines coming from the trans, where do these go? Just to intake manifold vacuum port, right. Or is there some other weird way they are set up???? Thanks.
    -Corbin

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Corbin; there should only be one vacuum line coming to the trans. It should go to the vacuum modulator valve. The other two lines coming from the trans are fluid lines going to the radiator. Don't put these on the manifold, as the vacuum from the engine will suck the fluid out of your trans. The modulator valve is a small round cone-shaped can above the pan. Hope this helps.
    Earl

3. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Well...

I have 2 vacuum lines coming from the tranny. It is a 1973 if that matters. They are in steel tubing and run up the tranny to the middle of the back of the engine. There is rubber vacuum hose that are hooked to these, and I am positive that they both hooked to vacuum sources before I took the engine out (it was completly stock). What's going on? It's a normal C4 that came with the car.
    My trans fluid lines are already hooked up, and the ones I am talking about are definitly both vacuum. Thanks.
    -Corbin

4. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Some of the C-4 modulators have two diaphrams, and therefore two lines on them. Not sure if that was factory on some mavs or not. I was looking online for a modulator and it showed several different ones, one having two lines, most having just one. It only showed these for the earlier years, not for the 77 I have. I can't find squat in my Chilton's or shop manuals about it saying which hooks up to what vacuum source.

5. Tony L

Tony L Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302 -
    Transmission lines

Corbin

I have a completely stock 73 with a 302 and auto trans. My trans has 2 steel lines coming from the transmisson, directly in the middle of the engine, that change into rubber hoses that both hook up to the 4 port vacuum module on the fire wall.
    I am sure we are talking about the same hoses.

Tony

6. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Exactly Tony...

These are the lines a I am talking about. Where do these hook up after the junction block. I go rid of all the smog stuff, so the only vacuum lines I have are the tranny lines and the distributor line. Now I am trying to hook up the tranny lines. Thanks.
    -Corbin

7. Tony L

Tony L Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302 -
    hoses

Corbin

Hoses hook up as follows from the drivers side to the passenger side:

hose 1 transmission

hose 2 first it goes to a "T" one side of the "T" goes to a diaphram on the back of the carberator and the other side goes to a valve with the heater hose going to it. This is in the front of the engine near the distrubuter cap.

hose 3 transmission

hose 4 to intake manifold for vaccuum

I don't have a digital camera but if you send me your address I could send you pictures.

Tony

8. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Tony..

I will hook these up accordingly. Thanks a lot. This definitly makes it easier. I will let you know how it goes. I don't think I need the pictures, but I will ask if I do. Thanks again.
    -Corbin :D

9. Mavrick newb

Mavrick newb 20 Year old Mavrick fan

Vehicle:
    1973 Mav 351w 76 Mav 302
    My 73 has 2 vacuum lines from the transmition as well, but my 76 does not.

10. NightShade1

NightShade1 New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 ford mustang
    1973 ford mustang vacume module lines

I have a 1973 mustang with a 302 engine an a c4 transmission with 2 vacume lines an I was wondering if anybody knows where they hook up 2? an if anybody has any pic or a diagram or anything?

11. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    The smaller (front) line T's into the EGR vacuum source and the rear (bigger of the two) connects to the intake manifold or the intake T on the firewall. Ford used this dual vacuum modulator only on the 73 models and it was a flop - supposed to make better emissions and didn't.
    The best thing you can do is to replace the modulator with a green stripe unit and use only the larger (rear) vacuum line that connects to manifold vacuum.

12. NightShade1

NightShade1 New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 ford mustang
    1973 mustang

I am really not to good at this, I'm teaching myself to do this, I just roughy myself how do put my transmission back together, an the 2 vacume lines go to the transmission only 1 of them are hooked up to the back of the vacume module an the other 1 isn't hooked up. An the lines lead up to the engine isn't hooked up, I have 2 hoses 1 is coming from the car an it's the 3rd from the right an an the other 1 is coming from a hose that's hooked to the carbarater, an idk witch 1 of the 2 hoses go on the 2 lines???

13. NightShade1

NightShade1 New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 ford mustang
    I don't know alot about engines. I roughy myself how to put my transmission together, I just don't know what hose hooks up to the lines that lead to the vacum module, I part of the line is hooked up to the back of the vacum an the other 1 isn't hooked up to anything, an the 2 hoses that are near the engine, 1 is coming from the car an it's the 3rd from the left if your looking at it an the other is coming out of a hose thats hooked up to the carbarater I think