5.0 obd ii

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jsarnold, Jan 17, 2011.

1. bomrat

bomrat Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 4dr 347 4r70w
    im installing an engine and transmission out of a 97 mercury mountaineer. it has the 5.0 and the 4r70w. the whole shooting match. it uses an eec-v ecu. great year because it doesn't have the PATS..

2. Clintd

Clintd Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 89 Cougar (sleeper), 04 Superduty and a 87 Cougar
    I just bought the strategy (ctbae) if you need anything deleted like downstream O2 sensors let me know.

3. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    DANG!! Guess that's why they are so available. Does that mean they're less tunable. e.g., less adaptable to different heads or cam? Other disadvantages? Thanks. Jim

4. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Yes, less tunable but only because you have to be dead on with changes to the stock file. Speed density is less adaptable to small changes that will affect airflow(cam, heads, intake, etc). Small imperfections in the program mean big driveability and reliability issues. Speed density on a stock engine runs fantastic(I actually prefer it) but minor upgrades tend to upset it a little, or alot depending on what you change. I had no problem with headers but changing the throttle body too made the thing real throttle happy sometimes and sluggish others.

The engine and trans can be upgraded to MAF with just a couple of wires and an ECM so I wouldn't let speed density make or break a decision if you're getting a good deal.

5. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Good info, thanks. Its good to know the conversion isn't a big deal.

6. Clintd

Clintd Member

Vehicle:
    you can tune a speed density EEC and be fine with headers, cam, intake ect. I just have never done it. alot of turbo guys use speed density.

7. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    OK. Its an option. :thumbs2:

8. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Oh yes, definitely an option. I should clarify what I meant about the nature of speed density; The system is designed for only small changes in airflow deviations from what it's calibrated for. MAF has the ability to calculate for the added airflow and adjust fuel to a greater degree. The short story is: if you're running a stock program in a stock ECM with a stock engine, speed density is fine. If you plan on modifying the engine, a lot of guys prefer the MAF because small changes don't cause hiccups that would make re-tuning necessary. Speed density is a great system for forced induction and has been proven to be very reliable, but significant changes in airflow requirements for the engine will make it necessary to re-tune your chip. No big deal if you're tuning it yourself and the air intake system is much simpler. If you're wanting to use a stock ECM with a modified engine or you are paying someone to tune it for you or you don't want to use a chip at all, then MAF systems are a little more forgiving with airflow changes once the base tune is dialed in.(ie: a change in cams, throttle bodies, heads, etc) My car was speed density prior to my aquisition of my preferred throttle body. I didn't really want to fool with it too much after it was running since it is my daily driver. (y)

9. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Got it. Thanks. I would be using Doug Thorley shorties for sure. How many more changes would depend on the condition of the donor car. If engine is really good, I'd use it as is. If it needs rebuild I'd consider stroked and more agressive CAM. If head work is necessary I'd consider aftermarket heads. All dependson what I find.

Is there a way to recoginize MAF vs speed density? I'm getting conflicting info on which the '88-'92 Mark VII is and I'd like to be sure of what I'm looking at.

10. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    ALL Mark VII's are speed density. MAF is only on the Mustang and 95&up Explorers, 96&up 5.0 trucks. 5.0l HO is only in the Mark VII's, Mustangs, Explorers(P- heads tho-header clearance issues). Not sure about the Continental but may be HO as well. Usually if the throttle body is facing the passenger side of the car and it says HO on the intake(unless someone added it) it's a HO

11. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    OK, thanks. Further looking says the continentals in those years are V6 FWD. :( Think I'll look for a nice Mark VII when I'm ready. They seem to be available for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a Mustang or Cougar in comparable condition. Thanks for all the info.:Handshake

12. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    Just did some checking and 1986-87 Continentals were 5.0l built on modified FOX platforms. I think the 86-87 were also available with a V6, so make sure it's a V8 before committing to anything. 1988 changed to taurus based chassis with V6 FWD.

I corrected this because I can't find any back up data on the specs I found. The continental probably uses a standard(non HO) 5.0l similar to the crown vic, town car, etc.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  13. Clintd

Clintd Member

Vehicle:
    A trick for plug clearance on GT40p heads is to take the stock explorer manifolds, cut all of the tubes off, grind the mounting flange flat and use it as a spacer between the head and the header. Also I noticed in the original post you asked if the intake will fit. It does but you have to make new braces out of tubing. The fox continental only came with a SO 5.0. Dont use a AOD trans from any Lincoln or a police crown Vic because it is a inch longer then a normal AOD. Please excuse the randomness of this post. I'm just righting what I remember as I remember it.

14. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I don't mind -- all good info to know. Thanks.

15. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Is the trans mount farther back or is it just a longer tail shaft and housing?