5.0L EFI injector question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by leeinphx, Nov 11, 2018.

1. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    I'm reassembling the rebuilt donor 5.0L HO engine from the '92 cougar. I'm getting to the fuel system and went to refresh the o-rings on the fuel injectors. I bought a kit that has also has new basket filters, so want to get those installed as well since I don't know how well the previous owner was at keeping their main fuel filter replaced and I have them.

All I can find online as a description to remove the filters is a special tool, that basically runs a small screw into the filter, and then another part that pulls against the screw and the top of the injector to dislodge the filter. Not wanting to buy a another tool for this one time job, (the local parts store doesn't have this as a loaner tool) can I just use a sheet metal screw and pull out the filter with the screw head clamped in a vice? Any other tricks or tips, or should I invest in the tool and put this off until it arrives? I want to get this done, but also don't want to have to order new injectors either.

As always, thanks to the expertise and experience here.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Not what you want to hear but unless you can see particles lodged in the screens, I know of no reason to replace them. The fuel filter in FI systems, trap just about anything larger than talcum powder.

I've never replaced any of mine.

3. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Thanks Krazy, I take any advice, even if it redirects me, that I can get on these things. I'll get out the magnifier and see if anything is in there. If not, I may just put those in the tool box tray dedicated to all the other little bits and parts that are accumulating.

Krazy Comet likes this.
  4. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    Grab a sheet metal screw. Not the self-drilling kind. Turn the screw down into the little filter until it's hard to turn (by hand of course). Then kinda wiggle the screw back and forth sideways and pull up on it sorta at the same time. It'll come out.