70 maverick 351w

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by layne, May 28, 2009.

1. Lee Richart

Lee Richart Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick LDO 421W
    Captain Comet,
    You are correct that a 302 pan will not interchange with a 351 pan. Don't ask how I know this. The difference is in the radius at the front and back. The 351 has larger main bearings and larger caps and therefore a larger radius in the pan. Yes, if I raised my engine the filter would hit the curve of the spring tower. As I said mine clears fine and I have standard motor mounts. Maybe if you know somebody with a 302 Maverick you can get some measurements as far as heights. Good luck.
    Lee "THE MAV" Richart

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    The bottom is wider as well... The wider pan rails push out the sides of the block, therefore the oil filter sits out further. Elementary stuff here. A 351 block is wider. The oil pan is wider. Everything is wider to accomodate the much larger crank.

If the 302 block was wider, you could put a 4" stroke in there just like the Windsor. A 302 can only take the 3.4" stroke, and even that needs grinding into the rails and bore bottoms. This is why World Products sells their aftermarket 302 blocks with a 351w skirt width option.

I guess I am not making sense...:huh:

The engine mount positions are same-same, even with the wider block. Ford placed them on the 351s to match the 289/302 measurements. They didn't let the block thickness affect that essential mounting point.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  3. tonyj71mav

tonyj71mav Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    Jumping into the 351W Fray!!

I am following the Forum pretty closely because I am planning to start my swap from a 200-6 to a 351 windsor. I understand the situation with the shock towers in terms of fitting the motor but are there any other nuances that I need to be abreast of,ie. Cross members, motor mounts etc. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

4. Lee Richart

Lee Richart Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick LDO 421W
    Hi Tony,
    The motor mounts are the same as 302 and should be available at autoparts store such as Autozone. You will also need the frame adaptors which attach the motor mounts to the frame. You should also get the belly bar which ties the bottoms of the spring towers together, sixes don't normally have these. The last issue I can think of is if you are keeping column shift linkage with an automatic it is different from the column to the trans. All the last items should be available on the forum or ebay.
    Good luck,
    Lee "THE MAV" Richart