72 comet 5.0 rebuild

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by 4DoorMav, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Best thing, and cheapest thing for you to do is get a Maverick power steering set-up and install that. I have the parts. Email me DIRECTLY (see below) if I can help.

2. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Welcome to the forum! I have hooker long tubes.... Had to get a power steering drop bracket. The steering arm also hit a tube...so I put a dent in it as far as I dared, and live with it. I used a saginaw PS pump and had to shim the pressure relief valve to lower the pressure, and use a piece of GM PS hose with a flare fitting to get it all hooked up.....but it works nice in my opinion. I am using the stock, old leaf springs (3 springs, was a 6 cyl car), and bought the lightest 6cyl coil springs for the front (did not cut them) to replace the cut springs the car came with. I wound up with a the ride height I wanted on the first try......and I feel lucky! I replaced all the rubber in my front end and retained the skinny 5/8 sway bar. The strut rods, stock spring perches, and stock control arm bushings all work to tighten up the front end to the point that the 5/8 sway bar (with new rubber on it) seems to keep it from rolling much.

3. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    Welcome to the forum, there are at least a couple members within a half hour of you. I'm across the river from STL in IL.

4. 4DoorMav

4DoorMav Member

Vehicle:
    74 maverick 72 comet
    Awesome, I actually found a old power steering set up I got with my first maverick, the piston is there so I'm going to go with that for now. I plan on running hydro boost for the brakes so I'm going to need a different style power steering pump to assist. My long tubes are hedman and were used so I assume they worked in my car. Just unsure if they will work around the piston for the power steering. I guess I will have to find out. But I'm looking for the engine mounts for a 5.0, the ones I have are for a different car, where it sits on the frame mounts, the opening is about a quarter inch too big. Could I just put washers between them or buy new mounts?