72 Mav. in Atlanta. Close to driveable.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by jbrich, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    Yes "Stu" I do know. All my cars have "to do" lists. I just keep telling myself that I can get it all done.
    I was A bit worried about doing the control arm drop, but it took less than 3 hours and the car was back on the ground.
    Are you going to lower the car. I reinstalled the original uncut six cyl springs, and the front is at least 2 inches higher than I think I want. The tires are A little taller than they are cool, but I want to go on road trips so I was leaning toward comfort when I chose them. I'll make any necessary adjustments after I know how it drives.
    What will you use for rust treatment.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Welcome to the Maverick/Comet world on the WWW.

3. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    Thank you Craig.

4. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    springs: I have "cut" 6cyl springs (8 coils, so I think only one coil cut off) that I thought were too low last time the car was on the ground, but I also discovered that the spring was spun down so the end of it was below the upper control arm and spring perch. also, the rubber things on top off the spring are gone, so these cut springs properly installed will probably be good enough to try out and see where it sits before getting another set. My front tires will be between 24 and 25 inches tall, unless I change my mind.

Rust treatment: I am new at this, so I read some threads and gave por15 a try. I used it on the inside of my rear quarters, trunk floor, and above the gas tank when it was out. I found out my gas tank had pin holes, and even after I had the tank cleaned and soldered, I could see daylight when looking inside through the sending unit hole, so I coated the outside of it with por15 also, and then the inside with fuel tank sealer. That was last summer, and I still havn't put gas in it. Por15 has incredible adhesion.

5. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    My front tires are right about 25 inches tall. (215-60-16) The fender is about an inch and A half above the tire. I'll try cutting A half coil and see how that sets. I don't want to go too far and get A rough ride. I am thinking about some autocross action in the future. For that I have the Granada springs in the shed. The coil diameter is the same, but the wire diameter is noticeably larger, and they are taller. A few coils off of those should make some very stiff suspension.
    I've read mostly good things about Por products. That's probably what I will use. The bad I've read could be attributed to inadequate surface prep. That's got me A time or two.
    My gas tank was crushed when I got my car. Not A good jacking point maybe. That led me to the 22 gallon mustang tank swap. I talked myself into the swap because the mustang tank and sender were significantly cheaper than the maverick tank. And another 150 miles of range per tank is nice on a road trip. Exhaust routing was A consideration too, but then I routed my tail pipes outboard of the leaf springs anyway. It all worked out.

6. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    :Welcome: from Atlantic Canada!

I used POR-15 products on my car and have had zero issues. It's worth taking the extra time and following the directions--no short-cuts! I used their Factory Manifold Grey and have put over 3,000 miles on the car and my manifolds are still grey with no rust or discolouration. I used their engine enamel, priming with POR-15 satin black as a base. No peeling, chipping or rust. I also used the satin black POR in my engine bay and front inner fender aprons, brackets, suspension pieces, pulleys, etc and top coated them with POR Chassis Coat Black and it still looks new.

Maverick Dude likes this.
  7. 71maverick361

71maverick361 Vern Isaac

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Welcome to the Forum!!

8. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    Hi Paul.
    Thank you for the welcome, and the info. POR products sound like A sure thing.
    Thank you 71 maverick 361.

9. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    :Welcome: from Northeast Pennsylvania

10. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    Thank you Bob.
    I've been checking out your build thread and wow!
    There is so much to see. I will be reviewing it again.
    You make it look easy, but I know you earned those skills. I understand those circle track cars take A beating.
    Thanks for sharing.