'72 maverick, 62d.. BELTS!!!??

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by bill hoefs, Jan 5, 2020.

1. bill hoefs

bill hoefs Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    Hello Everyone.
    Question = I need a set of matching pulleys and belts.
    I have put together a '72 Maverick Grabber. I have a '70 351w, 4speed Top Loader, 1 3/4 " Long tube headers. I removed the power steering pump, I have A/C. I have an electric fan installed. I have a water pump from an 84 ?? I think.. it matches up with my pulley alignment. Right now I have to roll the water pump and crank pulley belt on because no power steering pump. I have adjustable alt and A/C belt pulley. My accessories are... crank , water pump , alternator , A/C .. I would like to convert from the old style A/C compressor to a smaller version.
    Thanks Everyone.
    This sight helped me get this far.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Ford pulleys are exasperating and that's being nice.

I'll guess you'll need a water pump pulley for a non-P/S application, that should allow operating W/pump & alt from same crank groove.

The '67-'69 289/302/351 engines with P/S used a double groove water pump pulley that one belt operates P/S & other alt, I dunno if that pulley will align with a '70-up crank pulley. The '69 & earlier small blocks used a three bolt crank pulley that will not bolt to '70-up dampers.

A/C should be driven from front groove on crank pulley, no change for it's operation. I have zero experience with aftermarket A/C setups.

Here's the '67-'69 pulley arrangement I'm referring to.

I recently installed installed P/S, on my '69 Fairlane, needed both water pump & crank pulleys.

EDIT I just checked Ford Master Parts and the water pump pulley for '71 & '72 Maverick 302 without P/S is ID as C9OE-E, that's a '69 pulley so my above ramblings should apply. 351 & 302 use same pulleys.

FairlanePS1020 002.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  3. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    I had a hard time getting belts for my stuff because many parts houses only go by make and model, and it was...well...cobbled. Auto Zone had a device that measured the belt and gave a part # based on size, so getting one an inch longer or shorter was no big deal. You might want to pay them a visit when you get that far.

4. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I have converted my AC to small aftermarket setup. However, I am running PS, so can't speak to your belt issue.
    I don't know if your planning to go w/ OE Ford pump or aftermarket; I got my entire setup from Classic Auto Air. If your thinking aftermarket, might want to contact them -- they may be able to advise on the pulley/belt issue.