'73 Comet Gt Wheel Sizes?

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Deerhog, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Deerhog

Deerhog Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    I just got a '73 Comet Gt and I need new wheels for it( The Old Ones are Rusted). I want to put the STOCK size back on it. Can someone tell me the sizes for them. I need to know Diameter, Width, Lugs(5), and Backspacing ect... The factory ring and hubcaps need to fit. Thanks.

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :Welcome:...:Handshake:
    got a pic of the ones on it, are they stock?

stock 14" tires may be a problem to find...:yup:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Stock "Rally 500" type wheels on my GT 14 * 7", not sure of backspacing. I think the lug spacing 5 on 4.75".
    I get my 14" tires from "www.Tirerack.com." I am running 2.05 *70/14 front - 2.25*70/14 rear. I recently replaced fronts; I had 195*70/14" on front. I don't think anything below 195's, easily found, probably have to go to somewhere like Coker Tire and dig a little deeper in the pocket.
    You might want to place an ad in the parts wanted section, probably the best bet for finding a set of stock type steel set. Lot's of folks going to larger sizes, aftermarket type and anxious to part w/ the stock size wheels. If I didn't have Rally type, I'd be looking to go that way.

4. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Welcome to the site from northeast Ohio!!! :tiphat:

Deerhog,

I hope you post your car's pictures and detailed information in the Garage section of this site; especially if you get your answer concerning stock wheel sizes. By posting that information you retrieved from this site in the Garage, it will help future and current members seeking the same information find it more easily.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    ALL Mavericks/Comets are 4 1/2" lug bolt pattern....no matter if it is 4-lug or 5-lug.

6. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "The factory ring and hubcaps need to fit. Thanks."...not Rally 500s.

7. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Yep Ur right! My Bad ----Sorry!

8. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    nice info on the tire sizes...:thumbs2:

9. Deerhog

Deerhog Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    Thanks for all the replies! I think what I am going to have done is take the wheels to discount tire and have them do all the measurements and see if they can find a match for some new ones.

10. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Selections on 14 inch tires are drying up. If keeping close to stock you will probably still be OK, but they will get harder to find in general, and the situation will only get worse over time. Coker Tire specializes in accurate older fitments. They also produce modern construction (radial tires) that still appear like traditional bias ply and bias belted tires.

Food for thought ... just moving up to 15s will give you a lot more options in tires for the foreseeable future. A lot more musclecars tend to use this diameter and are maintaining the demand to keep production going. My car pictured below has 15 inch rims. They easily clear front disc brakes, too, where a factory 14x7 starts to get close to the caliper. 14x6s are OK with factory discs.

As a sidenote about how tire production is going .... folks that have some of the late 80s cars with 16 inch rims (RS Camaros for example) are now having a terrible time getting replacement tires. Options are seriously lacking, and they are finding that switching to a 17 inch rim is a good tactic. I work for the biggest tire wholesaler in the US, and seeing how this is all trending is hard to believe. 30 years ago, car dealers stocked 12 sizes of tires and could instantly service 95% of all cars coming in. Now, OE fitments of tires tops 500 sizes/load/speed ratings. I sat in on a meeting with one of the big 3 tire companies. Their rep said that they currently sell EVERY tire they produce. It is now a game of allocating production time to the highest demand items. Low demand tire sizes are getting dropped out of the mix because they have to make so many varieties now, they struggle with production scheduling.