75 Mercury Comet

Read more about this garage here...

2. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Sweet little road racer build.

What mod's to the motor so far? Looks like the chassis and cage will handle more power too. Future engine upgrades once the shiny new wears off?

3. 2MCgts

2MCgts Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    75 Comet

4. 2MCgts

2MCgts Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Being disabled (physically challenged) the mild crate 302/ 350hp engine is probably plenty for me . Admittedly I would like more horse power but it's actually plenty fast for me on track.
    I have just ordered new Hoosier A7 radial competition tire's to try in 2019. Maybe a stab at a front spoiler, gotta add a tach/ shift light cause I run no dash instruments except for oil n temperature gauge. Not sure what else it could need something will probably come up

5. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Not many people deep into racing hobbies reach that point of relaxed contentment very often, or for very long, so it's good to hear you're really happy with it.

From the "no instruments" comment seems pretty safe to assume it's completely gutted of all unnecessary weight?.. so you must be pretty light! 350 good running and well shifted horsepower should push that 2,700'ish lb car around a track like a higher powered combo.

Do you still have the full big bumper, big brackets, filler panel and all? Nothing wrong with that big bumper in the rear because it helps with ballast to plant the tires harder but I've heard some guys claim upwards of 75 lbs off the front nose weight after removal. I'd guess you'd be maybe 40lbs lighter with the small bumper conversion but it should help weight transfer and reduce body roll transitions through the corners a bunch.

Glad to see your car. We need more road racing type stuff around here, IMO. Huge following in Brazilian hotrodding and road racing. Cheap and light with a little fastback styling.. what's not to like?

6. 2MCgts

2MCgts Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    I did cut inserts out of front n back bumpers.So no inserts, brackets nothing ! It was definitely a great weight saving move !! I kept the big bumpers on both my Comet's just a personal choice. I like the look of them good enough.
    Although people may think the car is out place at autocross , they mostly agree it's pretty cool. Most young guy's haven't a clue what kind of car it is which is funny to me . The car actually ran only a handful of seconds behind most of the Porsche's at the Nov 4th track day. At may I say maybe a 1/ 30 th.,..of their Porsche cost lol

7. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    That is great to compete with something you built yourself. Looks well done, and I bet it leaves a smile on your face.