76 Mav Rear Shock Identification

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pudland, Jan 12, 2014.

1. pudland

pudland Adam R

Vehicle:
    1976 2Dr Maverick
    76 Mav Rear Shock Identification-UPDATE

Hello All,

When pulling the rear out I noticed that there are coil-over shocks installed.

I cant find a manufacture name on them. The only identification is as follows:
    Made in U.S.A
    P9DA

It has an eyelet upper mount and the bushing accepts a 5/8" bolt. It is a stud bottom mount that is 7/16" diameter.
    The length of the shock(out of the car) is 21" overall.
    They have a red coil spring. 13 3/4 long and approx 9/32 dia. The overall spring diameter is 3".
    It has a white plastic spring "collar" at the upper mount and a steel spring "cup" at the bottom mount.

The Mav has Lakewood style traction bars that one of the previous owners had to modify so the coil spring would clear the axle tube.

The rear tires are "MT ET STREET 28x12.5-15LT".

I cant upload pics to the forum for some reason so I know it's a shot in the dark for someone to help me identify them.
    EDIT: Just got done "supporting" the forum for the next year! :clap: I'll try to post a pic as soon as I can.

My concern is that if I go with KYB KG5447 style shocks, the rear may drop too low and I will have clearance issues.

Picture attached.

Thanks,
    Adam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. jayman

jayman Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick/72 Grabber
    With the coil over shocks removed, and the car back on it's wheels, how does the car sit? Are the rear springs sagging or are there indications of clearance problems? does the rear bumper sit lower than it did with hte shocks installed?

Ideally, you do not want the shocks supporting the body weight as the upper shock mounts are not reinforced enough to do so safely long term.

If the body sits lower without the shocks installed, you may want to either have the springs re-arched to restore the ride height or replace the springs.

If you really want to use the helper shocks, you should reinforce the shock mount locations so you don't end up pushing the mounts up into the trunk.

A search of the forum will provide you with links to vendors who sell the springs. Espo Springs has several options.

3. pudland

pudland Adam R

Vehicle:
    1976 2Dr Maverick
    jayman.....

I currently have the rear out of the car repairs so I can't check at this time.

I have ordered new 4-leaf springs, bushings and shackles from ESPO.
    I am also going with the KYB KG5447 style shocks. I have read in multiple posts here that "air bag" shocks are not good for the upper mounts. I'll let the shocks do the dampening, and use other means to get my clearance.

If I have clearance issues I may opt for a longer shackle if I need 2-3" extra and see how it goes.

At this point I am still waiting on the parts for the center section and axle bearings/seals.

Thanks!
    Adam