a leap forward

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by junrai, Jun 3, 2012.

1. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    okay another expensive update. stopped by the machine shop after having an awesome week with work and gave them another $1500 to knock my bill down a lil bit :D

so for a total so far Ive spent $9860 :eek3::badwords::dizzy: and have a good little ways to go but that pretty much knocked out paying on the super charger kit

2. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    ok time for another update. Ive been fooling around with the car while paying on the new motor and have taken the timing gear off and reset the timing properly and put that back together and got higher compression but still not nearly enough so we did a leak down test on the #1 and #8 cylinders and found that theyre are leaking a ton of air so we didnt even bother checking the other cylinders.
    I talked to my machine shop and he suggested a new set of rings and a good honing should bring the old motor back to life. after figuring out that its only $110 for a new set of rings and for him to hone it I said lets do it. so one day here in the near future I need to pull my motor out and disassemble it. while its all apart I will check everything else and everything else is in good shape Ill put it back together. if something is broken or worn out I may consider just scrapping the old motor or sell it for a rebuilder on craigslist depending on the cost. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on this motor since Im not going to be using it once the new motor is built.

ok now today I went to the machine shop again to give him another $500 towards the build and I also decided to go even further with the engine build and go with a 363 shp stroker instead of the 347 stroker since it didnt cost me but $18 more for the pistons.

with the $500 I gave him today Im up to around $10500 :dizzy: but its getting closer to being done

3. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    okay time for another update
    I have been paying on my engine for some time now and we have finally stopped and figured out what everything cost with tax and labor and how much money Ive paid so far
    so cost of engine from oil pan to super charger is $12650 and Ive paid $10600 up to this point so only $2000 left to go then its time for the carbs and scoop then the engine is done.

I thought I was alot closer to being done with the engine but I wasnt counting the tax and labor.

Ive also repainted the floors inside the car with my famous $1 cans of paint lol and installed some pretty cool fog lights. I installed some new tri bar headlights a while back but Ill be changing either the bulb or the whole light as theyre still yellow. Im going to try new headlight plugs to brighten them up first.

Ill post pics of the fog lights when I can figure out how to reduce the pic size.

4. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    okay got seats in today but have to swap tracks (drivers to passenger passenger to driver) to make them fit right I think

and was going to try for sen jose but glad I didnt wheels were ready to fall off since I didnt have any washers holding them on so I had to fix that
    I have a clunk coming from the front end not exactly sure what that is yet so Ill have to track that down and get it fixed
    I found out I need an alignment done since I found out mine is horribly out of adjustment when I took it for a drive today.

also started having an issue with the shifter not working properly :mad::cussing: put it in new maybe two years ago and havent had 5 miles on the car since I had it installed and now its messed up. so getting a new shifter in the next couple of months
    also found out I have a bad exhaust leak coming from my header gasket

but all in all a decent day of finally getting to drive my car after 5 years of messing with it
    even left a HUGE burn out line down my buddies block. I had to drive back by to check it out and was 4 houses long before I had to let off when it started getting squirly on me :D

5. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    No pics no proof! Sounds like progress to me! But I like pics lol

6. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    as usual its been ages since Ive updated my build. well this time its 2 steps backwards not a step forward

as most of you know I killed my first engine sadly by not doing anything great but just by trying to hear the rumble one last time before I shut the engine off.
    fast forward a couple of weeks of rain and work we yanked the motor out to see the carnage and just how bad things were broke inside.

well for fun we took the pan off and found lots of goodies all crunched up and broken laying in the bottom. I also found a 2 inch rip in the side of my oil pan besides the many holes in the bottom.

we took the heads off and went to the machine shop to check them to see if the valves got bent because the piston hit both valves on the cylinder that gave out.
    at this point Im still taking the whole blow up thing lightly because I had another complete running motor setting in the corner. turns out the valves are fine so thats good news .

I also had the shop check my cam and he asked me if I kept my lifters in order :hmmm::slap: I didnt know you had to. (I try to learn something new everyday lol) well I said okay a new set of lifters new rod and main bearings and cam bearings since I was going to use all of this in the other motor. and he said he could get me all of those parts for under $100 :clap:

so Im full speed ahead at this point and go tearing into the other running motor I had in the corner (remember that one from earlier) thinking all is going to be great and Im going to be running again in a few days .

well after getting that motor all tore apart we got to start seeing just how bad things were inside we saw that the main bearings were whooped beyond whooped and the rod bearings were the same and the cam bearings were almost worn in half.

still positive at this point yeah who cares all that stuff is getting replaced no biggie right?
    WRONG I took the crank and the block to the machine shop and he checked the crank and one section was already almost worn 30 thousandths and the other sections were all different levels.he said he could try to turn it and thats $140 and thats hoping it would be good after grinding it .

then things started getting all bad he checked the block and all of the cylinders had a lip with one having a much bigger lip than the other. so not wanting to spend any money on this motor other than what I absolutely had to I just said forget it its junk and now both motors I had are junk.

so now Im going to work on putting my car up somewhere for a little bit while I work on paying off the motor and all of the other drive train. I will keep an eye out for a used motor that doesnt leak any oil and if the price is cheap enough Ill stick that in there just to be able to move it around on its own power.

so for now it looks like the car will go into storage :49:

7. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    heres pics of the damaged parts

Attached Files:

8. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker

Yup, that sure made a mark :cry:

9. Red1972Grabber

Red1972Grabber Hangtown Hot Rods-NorCal

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber, 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible, 1989 Toyota Pick-Up Truck(daily driver)
    The inside of his pan was not a pretty sight.:eek:

10. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    a few pics

Attached Files:

11. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    okay its time for another update things have been happening other than blowing up my old motor lol
    I junked a couple of cars in the past couple of weeks and I kept the checks in the glove box of my truck for a comet fund. well I gave that $400 to the machine shop early this week and today I gave them another $800 to finish paying off the super charger. all I have left is the carb for the new motor. ( thats all I got left like a $7-$800 carb is cheap :biglaugh:)
    I decided to go with a single carb to make tuning a bit easier. its hard enough to make your motor run happy with one carb let alone with two and me nor curb hopper are experts in the field thats for sure.

I recently moved the car to a new found friends place in placerville where its stored nice and dry inside a huge workshop just waiting for everything to start going on.
    thanks again steve :bowdown:
    once the motor is done Ill start working on the chassis.

I talked to my machine shop today and he said in about 2-3 months all of the parts will be in and the motor will be ready to assemble.

oh and almost forgot my front seats are done with the exception of the powder coated emblems in the headrests.
    so now front and rear seats are done. the headliner is done. the dash pad is done. and the visors are done. I have to powder coat the door panels yet and the upholstery guy is going to redo the arm rests to make the covers fit better

Attached Files:

12. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    update eye candy

so as many of you know I love powder coating and have plenty of it on my car already well I lost one of my comet emblems so I bought another on ebay and took the set to be powder coated again the shop said they werent going to charge me anything since it wont take any real amount of powder or time to do it.
    well a month later the emblems werent done :( I said "man just get it done if I have to pay to get them done I will just get them done" so they promised me again they would do it. well I forgot and got busy when I went back a good month later they the wrong color :mad:

by this time I took the emblems to other shops and I kept getting the same answer "take it back to where I came from hell make it right".

I went back and asked the guy what are we going to do?

well turns out they were out of the powder I used.
    they said the problem was the powder was expensive and he didnt want to buy the powder just to do my emblems. I told him Ill buy the powder just do the emblems.

well the powder comes in a 5lb box and was like $65. I gladly paid for the powder and when he got the powder in he said a 5lb box will be MAJOR OVERKILL so bring me everything you have you want powder coated you pay for the powder Ill cover the labor :shocked::bowdown:

so heres the eye candy powder coated from perfect-it-sandblasting and powder coating :urock:

Attached Files:

13. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    ordered a ton of parts from melvins today as well

Part # Description Style Price Qty Pkg Extended
    Price Core
    C5ZZ9076A FUEL FILLER TO BODY GASKET-CORK 2.95 3 EACH 8.85 0.00
    C7AZ16758A HOOD BUMPERS-SET OF 4 6.50 3 EACH 19.50
    D0DZ13211A PARKING LIGHT LENS GASKETS-(GRILL) 0.00 3 EACH
    D0DZ6251222 ROOFRAIL WEATHERSTRIP 125.00 1 PAIR 125.00
    D0GY13461B TAILLIGHT LENS GASKETS-COMET 10.95 1 PAIR 10.95
    D0DZ13420B TAILLIGHT TO BODY GASKETS-MAVERICK 9.95 1 PAIR 9.95
    D0GY13A495D TAILLIGHT TO BODY GASKETS-COMET 12.95 1 PAIR 12.95
    D2DZ6203110 WINDSHIELD SEAL 75.00 2 EACH 150.00
    CRL7708 WINDSHIELD & BODY SEALANT-11 OZ 12.95 3 EACH 38.85
    D0DZ6242084 REAR WINDOW GASKET-2DOOR 55.00 2 EACH 110.00
    C9AZ17697LENS MIRROR GLASS LENS-LH-SPORT TYPE 20.00 1 EACH 20.00
    C9AZ17696LENS MIRROR GLASS LENS-RH-SPORT TYPE-ALSO COMET 20.00 1 EACH 20.00
    C9AZ17696HDW MIRROR HARDWARE-SPORT-ALSO COMET 24.95 1 KIT 24.95
    AMK802 MIRROR MOUNTING KIT-4 PC 3.25 3 KIT 9.75 0.00
    D0DZ17724B/C MIRROR GASKET-FOR SPORT MIRROR 29.95 1 PAIR 29.95
    Total Merchandise $590.70
    Estimated Shipping &
    Handling $69.02

Total Charges $659.72

shipping seems WAY up there but the lady on the phone said it shouldnt be anywhere near that high

I wanted to order TONS more stuff but Im out of money with paying for 2 kids in summer camp
    cant wait til the kids get back in school since its free :rofl2:

14. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    69 for shipping is cheap!

15. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    another update got more powder coating put on after hours of putting the wing together either in the wrong order or just plain wrong

Im torn if I want to powder coat the gas cap or if I even want to put on the powder coated rear bumper that back end looks killer with that splash of chrome

Attached Files: