A tip of the hat toward Mavericks

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by JAYSMAV, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JAYSMAV

JAYSMAV Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Comet 302 LDO auto, '70 Maverick I6

stumanchu likes this.
  2. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Interesting. Never heard it put like that. "Put to bed early without dinner for making its older sibling look like a wet wad of paper towels." :rofl2:

3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Nice video but he needed to do some fact checks before publishing it.

4. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    awwww.....It is such a feel good story, I would hate to let something as tedious as facts ruin it.

Krazy Comet likes this.
  5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Crazy Larry and Craig Selvey like this.
  6. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Despite some inaccurate factoids (Alternative truths anyone???) LOL... He is right about ford keeping the mav mundane so as to not compete with the muckstain...It was an entertaining article.

7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    You and everyone else should appreciate those Stains... If not for Mustang there probably would not be 25% of the currently available suspension, drivetrain etc parts... Look at my rides, all play second fiddle to a Stang(Comet is 3rd after Maverick)... Think I care?? Not in least...

Next month the Cobra Jet & myself will celebrate 45 years of cohabitation, never in that time have I wished I'd bought a Stang or something else... I have friends with Mustangs, I appreciate their cars and they mine...

8. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Emissions, 5 mph bumpers, and no v8 in the Mustang.....1974 was a painful year for automakers. Regulators were increasingly setting the benchmark instead of the public. Car manufacturers had to serve two masters.....how well does that work? Could you find a corvette that would beat the 454 chevy truck in the late '70s? Did that make the truck a sports car? The Camaro died to be re-born in '82 I think. The vette took a year off too. During this time, the mustang was becoming the flagship of the California highway patrol, and began to set the pace for American pony cars. The SVO, whether you like them or not, proved that Ford was interested in performance and willing to try new stuff. 10 years from 64 to 74, and ten more back to 84. Would a shelby 350 out perform a SVO with the boost cranked up a bit with a decent intercooler? The Mustang was always in the hunt except for the time it suffered under regulation, along with all of big 3s stuff. The Maverick spent its whole life in the turbulence of two masters, and it got killed off by the Fox body. I am proud to own a 74 Comet....an over-regulated beast with a stupid seatbelt system and boat anchor bumpers, and in the big city it doesnt have to be smog tested. I can set it free from regulations and see what it can be!

9. satchelmcqueen

satchelmcqueen Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Intalked to the guy who made the video and he told me he fact check everything with ford before putting this out. Its a good video and I dig it.

I'm not sure who it was on facebook (I deleted mine) but back when it was first released he was attacked by some guy saying his facts were wrong. I responded kindly for references or links to prove those facts wrong. The guy put me and the video maker on block and ran away with no proof of his version of the facts or to what those topics might have even been.

The video maker checked with ford on the phone to verify his narration. Without links by ford or proof by anyone else that he made a false video...then I won't slam him.

mojo likes this.
  10. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The guy has a sense of humor even though I disagree with his rant. I would not slam him, but I dont think gas went to $2.25/gallon until the '80s, unless that figure was inflation adjusted or something. Also, trying to glorify the Maverick as a muscle car savior is cute and entertaining, but it is quite a stretch. Ford would have shot itself in the foot if it discontinued the Mustang and made the Maverick its performance platform. If they did do that, we might be discussing what a knucklehead decision THAT was instead of the starvation of a potential muscle car with 2 barrels and 3 speeds. It is all a battle of opinions to some degree....and, ahem..."everyone's got one." I must confess to watching the video 3 times no matter how I slice it in the end.

11. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Here's gasoline prices through history beginning with 1929, adjusted for inflation prices were in low/middish $2 range through WWII... Pump prices were not over $2 gallon till 2005... I do remember seeing over $2 gas in 2000 when I was in SD...

I'm generally the easy going, but when someone starts messing with history, I get pissed fast...

https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-...tomobiles/average-gas-prices-through-history/

Crazy Larry likes this.
  12. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Except for VW all those imports he was picturing and saying Maverick was the alternative mostly were not introduced till around mid '70s, by that time Maverick was on the way into history because it could not compete...

I watched it again till this, then had to shut it down to prevent me puking...

Stated reason for Maverick were $2.25 gallon prices that equate to $17.00 today... He should have his ass kicked back into 1969, probably wasn't even around then...

[​IMG]

Crazy Larry likes this.
  13. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Sorry.....but no way did he "check the facts" with Ford.

1. Ford would not waste time to verify a simple YouTube video
    2. Ford would have to "license" something like this if they did.

Crazy Larry likes this.
  14. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I watched it one more time. That makes 4 and no more. Comparing the "blistering" 220hp 302 to the 5.0 225hp without consideration of differing methods of measuring said hp is a slight of hand that is especially cheesy, not to mention showing the ugliest Mustang II picture he could find.....repeatedly! I suppose journalism these days specializes in slight of hand, and in light of those modern techniques, it is well done? :rolleyes: Heheheheheh.

15. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    I am not dissing the mustang...I have owned several over the years and currently drive an 07 5 speed Gt. Muckstain is my pet name for em. I called the 70 boss 429 stang I owned in the early 80's The rot box...It was still fun...