Aftermarket Guage Placement

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Craig Selvey, Mar 3, 2006.

1. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    I assume you removed the old gauge panel and replace it with stainless steel?

How did you get the contour of the dash?
    That is very neat and I might try that on PINKY eventually.

2. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Yellow72Maverick (JIM) let me borrow his dash when he pulled it out of his car. I took the dash to a guy that does medal work. He made an insert for me. It perfect. Same contour as the factory dash. Then he put the gauges in an angle because the contour have the gauges pointing downward.

3. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    Terrance they look really good man...Jim

4. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Thanks Jim, I couldn't get it done without you.

5. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I took these pictures before I had the gauges actually bolted to the dash,but you can see how I chose to do mine.I used an extra radio mount so it would match the factory mount.I also chose to mount my tach in one of the air outlets on the drivers side.I wish it had just a little more of an angle up,but it is still easy to read.Since mine is just street driven,I'm not using it to shift by.

Attached Files:

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Greybeard....what is the tilt steering out of and how did you get it in there?

7. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Craig,I got that steering column out of a 1970 Mustang.I had to shorten it a few inches,but that was pretty easy.Everything else bolted right up.The wiring is the same just different color wires.I transfered each wire,one at a time and checked before pulling the harness back into the column.When I shortened it,I did it at the end under the hood,I also added a new bearing for support.I cut the outer tube then the inner shaft,installed a new bearing that had the od of the inside of the tube and the id of the shaft.Secured it with set screws.Then I rewelded the coupler to the shaft.In the picture,the cover that goes under the column is still loose,I just hadn't put the two nuts back on that hold it in place.
    Did you notice my consolette? It is from a 71-73 Mustang with an automatic shifter.I turned it around backwards so the ash tray is in the front.I plan on adding some switches and won't use the ash tray.I will eventually trim just a small amount from the bottom to tighten it up to the floor a little more.Not bad though for $10 at the swap meet.I don't know if it would work on a 4-speed or 3-speed.Mine is a T-5 that comes up thru the trans tunnel exactly in the middle.Might work with an auto.trans though.

8. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Greaybeard, I must say, with every picture I see of your car, I am more and more impressed. Nice job. (y)

9. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thanks Jamie,I just can't seem to get it done though.Every time I work on it I change something.Thats one thing I really like about the Mavericks,they really lend themselves well to modifying.If you can imagine it,you can figure some way to do it.Just like this thread on gauge placement,isn't it great to see how we all do things just a little different,our own imagination at work.I really like Mustangs,but I started to get tired of seeing so many with all the same mods.Not the same with Mavericks,everyone is different,like this thread.

10. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber, 1970 Maverick Drag Car(sold)
    I have completed installing my tach and guages ( you will also see my B&M Hammer shifter installed as well here ). I elected to mount my tach to the steering column...I like it there the best for the occasional trips to the drags. I have a Grabber, so I had to contend with the sportlamp switch. I really wanted the guages ( oil and temp both the electric type ) as close to the driver as possible and this seemed to be the best place to put them...but I elected to move the sportlamp switch about 1 to 2 inches to the right. I mounted mine similar to Craig Selvey...flush with the sportlamp switch. Moving the switch was easy, just had to drill a 9/16 round hole for the switch and lengthen the wires with some 18 guage wire. I think it turned out pretty well. Only true Maverick guys would know the sportlamp switch is not in the stock location. I'm glad it is finally completed...I forgot what a PITA it is to have to squeeze yourself under the dash to make all those connections! :yippee:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    The sport lamp switch can easily be moved, but I think your gauge placment turned out nice.

Now for that steering wheel.........

12. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Gauges look great guys

Tomorrow i'll be adding an extra water temp,ammeter,and a cig lighter in the middle of the pod

heres what i have on now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Why would you need an extra water temp? Also, I would just leave the volts gauge and not put an Amp gauge in. Amp gauges are dangerous. My amps gauge shorted out twice in my '74 Grabber. Once running 70 mph down the interstate, smoke started rolling out from under the dash and the car started missfireing, almost set it on fire. Second time was at a car show, and Terry (Hawkco) was messing with something under the hood and the gauge shorted out and the wire burned him. I'll never have another amp gauge in any of my cars. Just not worth it.

14. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    I have never personally experienced what Jamie is talking about, but I have heard stories......not sure what the advantage an amp gauge would be over a volt gauge....but I agree...it does not seem worth the risk :yup:

15. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Volt gauge is the way to go. Much easier installation and don't have to worry about it shorting-out your system...