aftermarket wheel centering???

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by doncomfort, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Try a dealer, sometimes they have better equipment, but the price might be an issue....

2. doncomfort

doncomfort MCCI Membership Director

Vehicle:
    74 maverick convertible, 72 Sprint
    Thats who is getting the rings Dave. I havent abandoned them completely, but I lost confidence in them when they gave me my car back in worse shape than when I dropped it off. I think it goes back there toward the end of the week.

3. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    Try this link for my test:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uXVF-6Mlsk"]20130618_153529.mp4 - YouTube[/nomedia]

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Where did you get the tires? Was it worse before? I'm still kinda surprised that one tire blew like it did....

5. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    I got the tires at Tire Discounters, our only tire chain unless you count Walmart. I had a pretty bad vibration coming to Carlisle, the faster I went the worse it got. I had to keep it about 60 for a decent ride. When I got back I made an appointment to get the balance and alignment checked. In the meantime I replaced my rear wheel bearings and rear shocks. It really helped, the car rode much better, almost perfect. It just had a very minor shake at 70. I figured I would keep my appointment anyway. They said the balance was way off and had thier best guy rebalance them. Now its horrible, shakes bad at anything over 55. Thats when they told me about the hub rings. Said it would fix it, but I have my doubts. I dont even think they ordered the right size. I ordered a cheap set today, just in case. Tomorrow the speed shop is going to check them out. If they find the tires are bad, I would expect another set under warranty.

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Have any other wheels you could try?

7. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    I think there is 2, maybe 3 on the 76. I could check 2 at a time I reckon.

8. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    I would try some different wheels, could be a way of finding out if your studs are bent or not. I used to drive a car with slightly bent and loose studs and man did it vibrate all over the place, had another car on stock hub centric wheels with bent/loose studs and it wasn't even noticeable. I didn't really know the difference until I read that link yesterday, but now it all makes sense. I couldn't ever figure out why I didn't ever feel that wheel was about to fall off. Drove it for like 8 months on messed up wheel studs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    I just got back from the speed shop. All 4 wheels were out of balance, so they fixed that. They also said that all 4 tires have a "hop". It rides much much better now. Not sure what to do next. Part of me wants the dealer to replace all 4 tires under the manufactueres warranty. The "service work" part of me says, leave it be, it might come back worse than it is now. Still gonna put the rings on it when they come in, cant hurt?

10. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    What do they mean by "hop"? Is that the same as out-of-round? If so I would think you would want to have the tires replaced. Also, I liked your ingenuity with your testing device.

Bruce

11. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch

The biggest advantages to the roadforce balancer is matching the high spot of the tire to the low spot on the rim. Sometimes one or both the tire and rim may be far enough out that you can only improve the condition and not eliminate it, but it is still an improvement. They do charge more money since each tire/wheel assembly must be mounted, spun up on the balancer, measured for roadforce, the rim is then measured for runout on the machine, marked for high/low spots and then the machine tells you where to mark the tire and wheel to match them. You then break the tire down, spin it on the rim to match, reseat the beads and rebalanced and measured. If the rims are perfect, you likely would need to replace the tires.

12. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    I watched them balance the tires and it looked like flat spots in the tires as they turned on the machine. I wouldnt call it out of round.

13. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    I wouldnt hesitate to pay the money for the road force balancing. Unfortunately, noone here does that. One place acted like i was nuts. Maybe Doug will know of a place I can take it to while im in Austin for the roundup.

14. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    I understand the matching of the wheel-to-tire balances but I wonder if the road force balancing is sensitive enough to mask the flat spotted tire? It sounds like you need either replacment tires or a minor shave on your existing tires and since they're new I think I'd check with the manufacturer. (I can't find the "Just my 2 cents" emoticon.)

Bruce

15. doncomfort

Vehicle:
    I give up. Im at the original shop and they say the tires are within spec. I watched them check the balance that was just done at another shop and they show out of balance. Somebodys equipment is needs calibrated. The hub centric rings they ordered actually fit, so they are installing those and rebalancing all the tires. Im done after this, I will save money and buy new wheels and tires and a year or two. :mad: