And you think your Mavericks have rust!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jean Doll, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    To answer your question about price Craig, we figure it would cost between $600 to $800 for us to this kind of rust repair. That's including the cost of materials. Now I know many of you out there would have a heart attack at the idea of spending so much to fix rotten floors and frame rails. But the fact is it can be done and another Maverick saved from the crusher. Heck, we only paid $400 for the whole car! After all the repairs are made it should last another 25 years. When the whole job is done I will post pics of the finished repairs.

2. RACINGLASSMAN64

RACINGLASSMAN64 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    hi jean doll i had the same problem one look and i started hunting for a parts car to repair it turns out i found another 70 with only 48,000 original miles it arrived today needless to say my project car just became my parts car the one i got today looks like time stood still this car is in unreal shape one small rot hole about the size of a dime on drivers side just behind the door and thats it rest is in perfect condition ive gotta take some pics because i cant beleive it myself :)

3. RACINGLASSMAN64

RACINGLASSMAN64 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    oh and almost forgot to include the best part .. it only cost me 500 hundred bucks !!!!! heck i paid 300 for the rust pile lol

4. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    hey jean something you might want to check while your under there is the steerbox and idler arm bolts.....when i tore my frame out i found that the shanks on the bolts where almost completely gone ....was just a matter of time before the bolts broke and i lost my steering

5. elliot

elliot Member

Vehicle:
    76 4 door 347 paxton and t56
    well I`m glad that my frame isn`t that bad but I do have some 1/4 inch holes in my torque boxes :rolleyes:

6. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    WOAH!!! New nanner guy!!!!:eek: Nice work, Elliot!
    -Corbin

7. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    If that were a true Texas fan, he'd be riding an orange Longhorn.:D

8. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    Jean,
    can you make a section of the 1/4 panels? I just have to replace a smal part and I don't want to replace the whole panel, I can give you a picture of what I mean.
    thanks
    Shaun

9. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Shaun,

I have both right and left quarter panels that I purchased several years ago to repair one of my cars. I cut out the sections I needed but they were very small. Murphy's law would dictate that the part I cut out is the part you need, but it's worth a try, yes? I'll see if I can snap a few pics of what I have left and maybe it could work for you. If so, I can make these available to you and it wouldn't be like cutting brand new ones.

Sam :)

10. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Don't know which side he's looking for, but I'm in dire need of a passenger side lower quarter, from just below the body line to the bottom of the quarter, behind the wheel. Let me know when he gets back to you.

11. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Ok, this is a pic of what I have left. Unfortunately what's left is probably of no use to anyone but I figured I'd put it up for all to see. In the event that anyone can use a particular section, I'll be happy to cut off what you need and send it to you.

12. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    yep, i need exactly what you used already. :) On that side I will probably end up replacing the full quarter so I don't have to patch the wheelwell opening, it's rusted through in a few places..

13. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I once talked to the prez of Autokrafters about reproducing just that lower section. If they can stamp out the whole quarter, it would be a breeze to just do the bottom part. The guy wasent the least bit interested in checking into it. HE said he doubted he could make any money off them. Thats why I dislike AK. Geeze, how much more wrong could he be? Almost everyone needs them.

14. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Even if they did decide to carry the lower quarter panels, what are the odds that they would bother to keep them in stock? It seems like every time I order something from them, it's either out of stock or backordered. I think the majority of thier sales is from Mustang parts anyway.

15. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Since this thread has been bumped back up, I figured I would fill you all in on the on going restoration of this poor old Maverick. We took a few months off from our Maverick to do the bodywork and painting on Mark Sundquist's Grabber. With that completed, we had a week or two to devote to our 76' Maverick again. The torque box and floor repairs are now finished. But once again, rust showed it's ugly head. The inner fenders in the engine compartment were riddled with rust holes too.:mad: When I went to remove the horn, it actually fell off! Well, we don't give up easy. We have since pulled the 250 and repaired all the rot spots and repainted the entire compartment. Even though the 250 only has 36000 miles on it, we sent the head out to be rebuilt anyway. Who knows how long it was just sitting around before we bought the car. We have some more detailing to do to the engine and tranny, and then they can be dropped back in. It looks like we just might get the car done this year.:D