And you think your Mavericks have rust!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jean Doll, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    the other torque box.

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    The nice shiney engine compartment. ( a little dusty though)

3. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
  4. 70maverick173

70maverick173 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 1/2 Maverick
    torque boxes

if you guys think those were bad you havent seen anything yet. Check out whats left of these. Let me know what you hink i should do. I want do repair it. i am almost done with my 302 swap. Is the car safe like this. can i just lay sheet meteal over it or is it structual.

Attached Files:

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    On a unibody car, almost all metal is structural. You need to get that repaired, especially since your addding a 302.

6. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    What about your light dimming switch? ;)

7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I saw in an earlier post you mentioned you needed rocker panels. I can see in this picture that you have NO driver's side torque box at all. Sorry to say it....but this car seems to be all but gone. Save yourself a lot of headaches and find a better, rust free car. You'll thank me later.

8. NJ_Maverick

NJ_Maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 2 Dr. Maverick
    After seeing the pictures and reading this thread I am thanking God my car was garaged and taken care of before I bought it. Not a stich of rust in the frame. :bananaman

9. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I was pretty fortunate with my latest project. I just bought a 71 Grabber that has been on the track for a while. It's going to make a heck of a nice street car. He kept the engine and tranny but that's okay because I already have a setup to go in this one. This car already has sub-frame connectors, fuel cell, trunk mounted battery, a 9" with 4:30 gears, 15" Centerlines with new tires, B&M shifter, new front end, and probably the most solid rust free car I have in my coral. The paint job was terrible so I am disassembling the entire car and stripping it to the metal. There is no rust on the bottom whatsoever and only a small pinhole on the right fender. The doors are super clean too...big shocker. I haven't gotten to the qtr panels yet but I believe they will be as good as the rest of the car. The only thing I hate so far is what he did to the poor hood. Luckily I have an extra Grabber hood but I won't throw this one away. I may try to weld some metal back in one day when I have some time to play with it. I work in a custom street rod shop part time so I know I can do it but it's going to take some time.Anyway, everyone seems to like pictures so I figured I'd show you what I'm starting with. I'm taking some in process photos and will give an update every now and then. I plan on having it completed in about three months. We have a super big show coming up in October that I have to be ready for...Cruisin-The-Coast. It's an awesome weeklong show which had over 5000 registered cars last year. Enough for now...Ray

10. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    That does look like a nice straight car. You need to caravan all your cars up to a Roundup. I'd love to see them all.