Another Bad *** LS maverick

Discussion in 'Non-Ford Engines' started by maverick75, Apr 15, 2011.

1. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    We dont have the Pentastar in the Wrangler yet. Still has the crappy push rod 3.8 minivan plant in the 2011 models. What a disgrace to the Jeep name. I really miss the 4.0 and so do the rest of the guys at work. Clunky old iron push rod motor but it made torque. I had Cherokees for the past 15 plus years with my 4.0 and AW4 trans.

And why is Chrysler just coming out with this now?? Simple. Daimler ran them into the ground. They are just starting to recover from the mess Daimler created.

2. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    sounds like what Jack Nasser almost did to Ford...

3. Michael lynn75

Michael lynn75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 comet
    I got my ls1 for 500 bucks and it came with Computer, wireing harness, 4 sets of manifolds, ls1 intake and the truck intake, 4 speed tranny and all the accessories and the alt was relocated already for me. it had 8k miles on it out of a 08 chevy truck. My friend had the motor in his fox body and then decided to go with a ls7 and gave it to me for that price. Thats a steal honestly. Motor has thus been torn down and rebuilt.
    Im doing somthing that hasnt been done as well. 1 putting it in a comet, and two keeping the whole front end of the comet. Keeping it in the shock-towers. It will be my daily driver when finished.

This build should be finished about mid july this coming month and i will have photos and do my best to bring it to the next show with in distance.

I have allways been a chevy guy sence my 81 chevy truck was my first car and still my baby. I love a the comet, but you cant been old school power and a big bench seat you can sleep in. popping curbs and smoking mustangs in my big squar body chevy truck. she is my baby. My best friends gt comet with a H.O. 5.0 and 3 speed still got beat by my truck. fun car to drive but without alot of money it will never make the power my ls1 swap will.
    With a simple rebuild, truck intake, ported exaust manifolds, T-Rex cam (which sounds just freaking amazing jizz in your pants awesome), little bigger injectors and rails, im making 430 horses to the wheels and keeping so much of that awesome gas milage with a killer sound. Still fuel injected. Im really excited to have this one finished.
    Do to be being a college student and only 19 and this being my 3rd car i own at the moment (all running and driving), i still have a some work to do on the rest of it like brakes and a good paint job and hopefully in the future going to a tubular suspension.
    But she will still be on the road and have a clean interior and driven daily till i can afford the new stuff.
    Im just really excited to have my baby back. Driving my little slammed ford ranger 4cly just aint the as the comet.

and ps. putting a chevy motor in a ford is like the best thing sence sliced bread haha.

What I really wana see is a Cummings turbo diesel in a comet though. that would be a killer sight. ahaha

4. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    And on saturday nights I use to go down to State Street in Salt Lake and race all the kids in the Camaros, Mustangs and the Eclipses light to light with my Fuel injected I6 Jeep CJ7 and usually stomp on them every time because I set my jeep up to rock crawl and have a stupid low gear ratio in comparison.....you know its kind of like a chevy truck gear ratio instead of the stock 2.73 or 3.00: gears in a Comet... Jeese anybody can put a mediocre motor in something with great gears but it will always stomp something off the light with freeway gears that were made for fuel economy..

Gotta admit it was something watching a jacked up jeep winding up and taking off, spring over axles 31's ladder bars and all. Granted the blocks are not long enough for me to hit 60 when doing that, otherwise they would have obviously overtaken me.. It was just priceless watching some kids face when his 305 camaro with a bolt on tunnel ram that was running way to rich sticking out of the hood got left at the light by some idiot redneck and his two drunken buddies..It was "just freaking amazing jizz in your pants awesome":rofl2:

Now I told you this story to prove a point, even with your advanced wisdom at the ripe age of 19 years old you can learn from some of us even moderetly older members.... Its not all about the engine, its about the whole drivetrain.....most of these guys that are puttin LS1 motors in their cars already have gears, and done all the other work, otherwise your LS1 powered car might end up slower then the 302(5.0) with a 3 speed (sounds like an anemic IM starved 70's factory setup too me) powered comet your talking smack on...

Now can we let this thread die all it is turning into is trying to prove we have bigger male appendages then one another....

PS.. selling your maverick and buying a nova to put that LS1 motor in and save money in the long run with a very similar appearing car, is the best thing to happen since they figured that sliced bread was so yesterday..:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Who cares what anyone thinks. Build what you want and just be happy. Good lord bunch of whiners around here these days.

Oh, this is my daily driver I recently completed. It's fun to leave my buddy's 25th anniversary 305 powered Camaro in the dust in a heavy old truck powered by a relatively stock Mustang engine... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  6. Michael lynn75

Michael lynn75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 comet
    You make a good point and if i came off that way i do appologise. I have just been excited about the build for a while now and am waiting for the results. My comet is getting a new 9in rear end with either a 3.73 or some where in the lower 3s, with a full spool and ladder bars. I know a fair amount but I am allways willing to learn and will addmit i dont know near enough. My friends comet has a 8.8 with 3.73s, holly 650 double pumper, rpm intake and full tubes with msd ignition, and a small rv cam. Its just a little slower than my 81 chevy truck with a 400 and a bunch of mods. So much fun maken old heavy trucks out run a small car. :)

None the less if i come to a meet with my comet and was to meet you i would love to chat and learn anything i can.

I also agree with putting it in a nova would be cheaper but the sweet part of the deal is im not spending not near what anyone would think I would be.

7. Michael lynn75

Michael lynn75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 comet

I agree too. My highschool ride was a 81 chevy short and wide i still have and race from time to time. I two blew the orginal 305, then blew a 350, stuck a 400 in it and she still runs strong and will outrun gt mustangs. double hump heads, rpm air gap, long tubes, 600 afb carb, tuned in and duel custom cold air intake :) turbo 400 trans

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  8. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick

Your only 19?? Gees I thought I had some toys at 19. You seem to be doing pretty good. (y)

9. Michael lynn75

Michael lynn75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 comet
    well i was given the truck for my highschool ride but sence then i have paid for everything. the comet the new engines and suppension work on the truck and on car and stuff then i got that slammed ford ranger.
    I got bit with the speed bug and allways wanting to make whatever i was driving better and nice in any way i can. I have had alot of jobs and spent just about every penny either on my cars or taken a girl out in one of my cars lol

They are not anything super specail but i have done the best i can. My hope is one day when i kids i will have a 1rst born son and be able to pass down either my chevy or my comet and have that as my kids first car. he would be the badass in highschool and stuff. but what dad doesnt wish that for his kid? ha ha but i do not have kids or even a girl so that day is still a good 18 years away :)

10. 1974grabber

1974grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1974 grabber
    im sorry this has always burn my ass chevy in a ford what there was no cameros or vegas or mazdas to mess up "i know each there own" but you dont see to many ford guys putting fords in chevys ! i see these catastrophes at car shows and keep it moving :huh: :hmmm::mad::rant2:

11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber

ya didn't read post #125 did ya...:huh:

12. Michael lynn75

Michael lynn75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 comet

But if you pulled up next to one on the street and all you could hear was the motor not knowing the ford had a Chevy motor in it would it matter? lol No matter what car it is its just an ends to make the tires move and go forward.

Im also guessing your the guy that would pass up the Camino that has a Monte Carlo front end, "confused" a local race car that is a Camaro front end and pinto body? lol

13. flynbrd

flynbrd Member

Heh its all a matter of perspective right!? I imagine if a chevy fan read this posting he would be "your putting an awesome LS motor in a maverick?? why not just put it in a pinto?" anyway you get the point. The lS is a great motor and for all around performance for price its hard to surpass. Ford under 1k you can have 400+hp aluminum motor that will run all day. What's the going price on a dss 331 short block 2300?

14. 1973Maverick357

1973Maverick357 Cooler then a Camaro

Vehicle:
    1976 stallion,1973 2dr mav,1975 2 dr comet,1964 F100,1970 Mav Grabber
    I had a 4.8 in my silverado with flow masters, cold air intake, and ecm chip it would haul :)

15. 1974grabber

1974grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1974 grabber
    well you dont see that much,i would do that just to piss the chevy guys who do that stuff with chevy motors ..lol:rofl2: