AOD swap from a diesel.

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by Froggy, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Froggy

Froggy Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick 1974
    So i finished restoring a 74' 250cid inline 6, 4 door maverick, And i'd like to replace the stock C4 transmission. I've been reading that the AOD tranny would work and so i'm here to ask for help with a couple of questions :D

Will an AOD from a diesel, 83-93 econoline or 80-93 ford f series work? These are the only vehicles in my country which i can get the tranny from.

Does anyone know of any posts of previous swaps for my engine type(couldn't find)

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    AFAIK no Ford diesel used the AOD, torque of the oil burner would destroy it before you got home from dealer.

The diesel probably has a C6 or E4OD, neither are good swap candidates for Maverick. I doubt anything from a diesel would bolt to a small block anyway.

Froggy likes this.
  3. Froggy

Froggy Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick 1974
    So i need to find an AOD off of a gasoline engine, alright cheers. Do you know if an AOD from gas powered f series fords will fit(years 80 to 93)?

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    You mention the 80-93 F150 - yes, the light duty ones could have the AOD. Look for any Ford, Lincoln, Mercury donor car or truck from the 80's or early 90's and look for transmission code "T" on the ID label. You will still need to eyeball the tranny to make sure it is an AOD. Be aware there are 2 tail shaft lengths and I think the truck one is the short one.

Froggy likes this.
  5. Froggy

Froggy Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick 1974
    Is there anything else i'll need for the swap? Crossmember or flywheel?

6. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    No stock crossmember that I know of works with this swap. Most guys make their own from a kit or modifying a stock one. I used Franks' kit to build one for my T5 (has it for AOD too) - contact member 71gold for more info

As for the flexplate I do not know.

DGD and Froggy like this.
  7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The engines that used AOD were 3.8 V6 plus 5.0 & 5.8 V8. Ones used in '89-'93 V6 Super Coupe are strongest, with HO 5.0 & trucks a close second. Non HO 5.0 & std V6 weakest.

I believe '94 & '95 Super Coupe used AODE or 4R70W.

There was only one bell bolt pattern for AOD, Automatic Overdrive will be stamped into bottom pan.

MK VII Lincoln & pickup are slightly longer than the others.

8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    the flexplate has to do with what balance the motor has.
    also get the AOD wiring plug from the donor car/truck. it's for the backup lights and neutral safety switch. get as much wire with it as you can.
    PM me for info on the crossmember.

9. Froggy

Froggy Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick 1974
    So i've found an AOD which came from a 1992 crown victoria(An import from the US), anyone has any comments or knowledge of it? So far it's the only one i could find around here.... I'm going to go check it out next week, supposed to be rebuilt already.

So a few more questions:

1. As for the two different tail shaft lengths, what should i look for? I believe the crown vic it'll be long(again i'll see the tranny only next week)

2. About the Bell housing, will it bolt on/ do i use the C4 tranny bell housing/ or is there an adapter i'll need to use.

3. Lastly the torque converter, anyone knows if it differs from the C4, which can and should use?

Thanks you guys for the answers so far, i'm honestly really glad and happy you take your time to help me :)
    And i'm really sorry if some of my questions sound silly or dumb to you guys, but it is what it is, and i'm trying to learn more and more as i go

So the crown vic 4.6l V8, any knowledge of those once?

I don't have any electrical connections on my C4, the neutral safety switch is connected directly to the shifting column and from there it connects to the backup lights(as it came when i bought the car). is there something i'm missing then?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  10. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The '92 Crown Vic is a odd ball, it's the only model areo vic to used AOD and then only half year. You'll have to verify it is a AOD, look for Automatic Overdrive stamped into pan. At mid year Ford switched to AODE in these cars. The bolt pattern is different on 4.6 AODE, won't eve bolt to your engine. That's right, early & late '92 4.6 have different bell bolt patterns.

The TV cable will have to be replaced with one for a carbed setup(as will most any FI engine). The TV cable is paramount, if not adjusted correctly it's possible to burn up the clutches from slippage. Forget everything about C4 as nothing interchanges with AOD. You'll need the 164 tooth AOD flexplate from Crown vic, I'm 99% crank bolt pattern is same, so will swap as 250 & 4.6 are zero balance engines. The '92 PMGR starter is about 500X better than any '70s starter, if possible get that as well, will require minor wiring change.

For neutral/backup switch it may be possible to continue using what you have. A better setup would be use the internal switch in AOD. Keep in mind you may have to swap to aftermarket shifter. Likely the manual shift lever will require some modifications.

DGD likes this.
  11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    For neutral/backup switch use the internal switch in the AOD. it wires into the C4 neutral/backup switch wires. A cable floor shifter will make the swap simpler.