Are sidemarkers required?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AppMaverick, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    Considering every car made after 1970 by law has to have marker lights, its something that most cops would notice that is missing in a look around...its a pretty big empty spot if theres nothing there.

I know if I saw a car that was missing them I would notice something odd about the quarter panel, but I dont think it would dawn on me right away

2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    No one will ever notice their gone.

3. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Well, why not do a custom side marker lights??? Scratch your head an see what you come up with! Chances are you wont get caught,,,, but every once in awhile,,,, you just have them kinda days,,,,

4. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    Just dont make steerhorn marker lights :biglaugh:

5. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    That is my thinking with the Roadrunner lights. Very small but still there.

I still retain a Pennsylvania state inspection license and even though the Mopar lights might not be "stock", what was there had to work properly. I realize that every state is different.

In the area that I live, the cops are well known for the "easy pickins" mentality. 6 murders could occur down the street while they'll all be somewhere out on secondary roads catching the real hardened criminals, on their way to work (the few that still have jobs), for doing 5 miles over the speed limit- - - -or maybe pulling someone over with a Maverick that no longer has side marker lights. :mad:

One thing that I do realize is that we have (2) 24 hour donut shops and neither one has ever, ever, ever been robbed - who can figure? :cry:

Rant is now officially over :p

6. chirt

chirt Carlos Hirt

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Right on!;)

7. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    I like how people knows everything cops know and what they look for and what theyre going to miss :biglaugh:

Maybe they will miss it...maybe they wont...but if they do catch you theyll be watching for you everytime you go down the road, after 3 tickets within a year youll be considered a multiple offender and it starts racking up more harsher penalties each time, including impoundment, license suspension and possible jail time(it doesnt matter what the ticket is for, multiple offender is a criminal status)...would you be willing to take that chance over a set of marker lights? Its not necessarily an easy job to undo

My point is that its not worth it...laws may vary from state to state...but why do something illegal to your car that you cant undo?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    this was in a flat black beamer with a 3" pipe and floodlights. they searched the hell outta that car. We were worried they'd see the mega-squirt system after telling us about the muffler lol.

9. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    yea... my car is pretty flat black. they probably do help ppl see it at night. I still need to find a place that sells the tubular bolts that hold them on. Need to plan my welding tho. Yea, i don't think cops would notice. It is a good point about if I'm in an accident tho - that's way worse situation than a ticket!

10. chirt

chirt Carlos Hirt

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Yes I'm willing to take the risk..:D Who says I can't undo?;)

11. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    Its not impossible to undo, but its really hard to undo.

I wouldnt take the chance, not having an additional safety feature to ensure people see me isnt worth me getting a ticket over. ;)

For all the people who says "the cops wouldnt notice it was gone"....If cops wouldnt notice theyre gone then what makes you think everyday people would notice?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  12. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    That's just it. I think it would go un-noticed by probably 98% of everybody. There will be some maverick owners that would notice but I bet even a lot of them would miss it. Ask Blown76 how many Mav owners noticed his in the last 20 years.

13. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Bottom line...
    It is a against the law to remove any safety device on your car. Very similar to the federal law that says you can't remove or disable any emission control device that was installed on the original car. (Federal fine = $10000)

14. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Which just means laws are made to be broken! Reckon how many cars here still have all the safety do dads and smog junk? Not very many! The Govt wants to take care of us cradle to grave, I can do that myself, thank you. :D I mean really, we all take stuff off of our cars that the Govt says they have to have on them, and put on stuff that is not Govt approved. Like I have said before, stock is boring.....:christmas:

15. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    So go for the middle ground. Replace them with a piece of smoked lexan that matches the body color with the light behind it.