ATTN Painters...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stockhatch, Apr 22, 2005.

1. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    My brother uses all sata for his finish work but he has a custom shop. I am a hobbiest and I am very pleased with the results that I get with the DeVilbiss finishline. It runs around $150 to $170 depending where you buy it, but I think it is very user friendly. Just my take on it.

2. waynes fords

waynes fords Member

Vehicle:
    1973 grabber,2004 ford dually,2000 gulfstream motorhome,2003 ford expedition,66 mustang gt
    I use a Devilbiss suction to shoot primer and a Sata jet 90 to apply base/clear coat, just like anything else-good preparation and time spent on the foundation, then the end result will be worth the effort!!! good luck. Oh the Sata gun runs about $400.00-$600.00 retail!!

3. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I bought a primer gun today. Its an ASTRO LVLP with a 1.8 tip. I think it uses around 9.5CFM@15PSI inlet. Ive seen some great results from this gun with a 1.4 tip, so depending on how this works for shooting primer, Ill buy another one with a 1.4 tip for shooting topcoats. I love how its such an air miser too :)

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I have 2 guns. An old Devilbiss JGA suction and a HVLP gravity fed Matco that is supposed to be a ripoff of some expensive gun. I really like the gravity fed but thats the only thing I liked about that gun. At first the orange peal was so bad that I almost threw it away. So I took it apart and bored out some of the orifices. It sprays much better now but still cant lay out paint as smooth as my Devilbiss. I would like to find a gravity feed gun that paints as nice as the JGA. Any suggestions? Do all HVLP guns orang peal bad???

5. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Our SATA gun has to have the air pressure and fluid adjustments just right or it will layout some nasty orange peel in the clear-coat. Once they are dialed in though, it will put the clear down with very little or no orange peel. Our Sharp gun would spray clear-coat with a lot of orange peel no matter how it was adjusted, so now we only use it for basecoats.

6. funkranger

funkranger Member

When you lay down the base and it has orange peel in it doesnt that transfer through to the clear or do you wet sand between coats??

7. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    The only way you will get orange peel in the basecoat is if you lay it on super wet and heavy, which you should'nt do. When spraying urathane basecoat, it goes on fairly dry and, depending on the color, in several coats. There is practicaly no chance of getting orange peel in the basecoat. At least we don't get any when we paint.

8. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

the HVLP means HIGH VOLUME LOW PRESSURE....orange peel is from too much paint too fast... it setlles and has high spots and low spots...thats why it looks like orange peels...

thin your paint a little.....and i am talking abouit a little.... every paint is different and the HVLP paints need to be a little thinner...or just go a little faster when spraying.....remember you dont want to put all the paint on the first coat...it should be at least 3 coats....criss cross coats and you shuoldnt spray the next coat until the previous coat has tacked up a bit

hope that helps

HVLP are a little tricky...and it takes a little to figure out the best tricks to spray with them, but they do spray the best paint jobs i have seen..

9. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    How about low volume low pressure? Any specific tips? From what I gather its sort of new technology. Or at least revamped old technology. People can paint with alot less compressor using LVLP thats all I do know about it.

10. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i have never used a low volume low pressure so i dont know... sorry