Average Body/Paint shop prices

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rustymav1974, Feb 20, 2011.

1. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    With the cost of materials...every bit of it.

2. rustymav1974

rustymav1974 Livin' The Dream

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Ouch. Not expecting those brutal estimates MUCH steeper than I though. Maybe I should get a job at a body shop this summer and suck up to the owner :idea: :D. Anyone know how I can get the history on my car? I live in texas, bought the car in Texas so I feel it shouldn't be as rusty as it is for a texas car. I think it would interesting to know.

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    My car was $4000 just to paint it ... and that was 6 years ago ... and I was friends with the shop owner. That was on a rust free car and the only bodywork was to smooth the 1/4 panel lead seams. I'm with Craig on this one .. $10K for a quality repair and 2-stage paint.

4. maverickdragger

maverickdragger GearHead

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    im telling you i will do it for 5000. and it will be done right. show quality

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    That's a great deal.

6. maverickdragger

maverickdragger GearHead

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    the car isnt in that bad a shape. all it would need are a few patch panels that would need minor shaping and a few dents fixed here and there maybe.

7. rustymav1974

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Body is dent free it really does just need the quarter panels fixed. But I would have to drive (probably ship) my car across two states to ship it to you. I think I'll use this oppurtinity to make some new friends and work on my "networking" skills. :D thanks though

8. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    5K is a screaming deal dude!!! I have 400 bucks in sandpaper alone on my blue mav...LOL...I do it all myself too. I would take maverickdragger up on his offer if I were you!!!

9. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Its a different kind of rust than we get up here. You get rust from things like water leaks. We get rust from the road salt that eats everything it gets into. Your rust issues can be patched because the rest of the car is likely really sound. When a car up here gets that rusty the rest of it is usually worse and not worth fixing.

My car is from San Antonio originally. The reason my quarter panels had good corners is because somebody way back drilled drain holes in the rear of the quarter panels at the bottom right near where they all rot. I'm convinced that is what saved them.

10. rustymav1974

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    It's 1008 miles aproximately from where I live and where maverickdragger lives I ordered an estimate from a car shipping co. though, I'll give it some more thought but I'm also not financially ready to paint yet I'm a highschool kid so I have to depend on minimum wage summer jobs to sponsor my car and as my parents say, "it's your car, you pay to make it look good, we just pay to make sure it runs" so no money besides what it needs to be mechanically reliable (I'm thinking it needs a 302 to be reliable :p). Maybe down the road a little ways i'll be able to pay maverickdragger to do it it looks like he does really good work but not now. I was just asking for rough estimates so I could start saving:drive:thanks to all :Handshake

11. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

You can take it to Maaco and get it painted for around $500. It will look decent enough for a high school daily driver car.

12. DVCRobin

DVCRobin Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick

Matt is also in high school, but this car deserve something better than a $500 coat of cheap paint. I wished we could find something in between maverickdragger's show quality and Maaco cheapy paint. Our budget is $2,000.

I can find the $200-$500 paint jobs. $500 paint jobs that are priced at $2,000 and the $8,000 - 10,000 paint jobs. Nothing in between.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  13. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    One of the oldest body shops near me will do it for $4000-6000. If you could have someone good do the body work on it. The local Maaco will do a base coat / clear coat for around $1000-1500. We did this route with a daily driver car of ours about 7 years ago, and the paint has held up pretty well.

14. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I have also seen some Maaco paint jobs. For the money spent....they look fantastic.

15. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I did mine myself, single stage enamel with enamel clearcoat, and probably have about $500 in it. It's not as nice as say Craig Selvey's or Dan Hines cars, but it looks good enough that I get a lots of compliments on it. I did all the bodywork, which was very little, and sprayed it in my open car port. It might not be legal to do that in your state. You can ask anybody that was at the Dixie Maverick Christmas Breakfast on how it looked to them.
    Point is, You can do it yourself and save yourself a lot of money, farming out the things you don't have the tools to do with, such as welding in patch panels. Is there a Vo Tech school nearby that teaches paint and body? They are always looking for cars to practice on, with supervision of course. Lots of ways to save money and still get a nice job, you just have to look around.