Bad fuel pump?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Chlorin8ed, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Chlorin8ed

Chlorin8ed 72 Comet

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1980 Chevy Malibu, 1987 Chevy R10
    History... It has been sitting for 12 years or so. Car was running before (not well) I rebuilt the carb last spring. Never tried to start it after. I know the fuel pump was bad. Gas in the oil. Replaced the fuel pump. It would not start. Re installed the pump again. No start. Re installed it again. No luck. Now today, finally got back to it. Didn't start. I pulled the gas line off the carb. Didn't get any gas to come out of the line when trying to start it. Reinstalled pump again. Somehow it did squirt me for a gas in the install. :-( I put gas in the carb. She will start and die. Can not get it to stay running. Grabbed a gas can, ran a line to the gas can. It would not start.
    So: Is there a trick to install the fuel pump? Lining up the rocker arm on the eccentric? Is there supposed to be lots of movement up and down with the rocking arm?
    Is there another test to check it? I know new parts are not a guarantee, but want to try everything before getting another one. I have never rebuilt a carb before so not sure if that is an issue.

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    if it will run by putting gas in carb it's a stopped up fuel line or bad pump. take the fuel line loose at the tank and the carb and then blow through the line with compressed air.

3. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    When ever I install a mechanical fuel pump I always check it by hand first. Cover the holes with you fingers and have someone pump up and down on the lever. You should feel suction on one side and blowing on the other. If not then the diaphragm inside is bad or something else is wrong with it. There is no real trick with stalling it. If it goes into the hole and bolts on then it is good.

4. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    What size Engine? You could test with a Electric fuel Pump. Will have to block off the Mechanical Hole. I would test with the fuel Line in a Clear Container to check the Flow. Trick is to get the Fuel pump, Eccentric-Cam lobe, as low as possible. Away from the pump Arm.

5. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

12 years is a long time for fuel to sit. Check your fuel tank, I bet it has a varnish coating inside. Your pickup sock should be changed too. Check fuel lines too.
    If you have varnish build up, it will start dissolving and plug up your fuel filter very quickly. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
    10% Ethanol fuel is even a worse problem, and causes all kinds of bad things for your fuel system. Don't let it sit, even for a few months.

6. Chlorin8ed

Chlorin8ed 72 Comet

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the ideas: I installed a new pump still no go. I can put gas down the vent hole and it will start but will not run. I have blown the lines out all ready but will check the tank. But now I am trying to get it started by putting a hose into a gas can. So I know it is fresh clean gas. It wont start. I disconnected the hose going into the fuel filter by the carb. Tried starting it and no gas comes out. Two bad pumps in a row or am I missing something? I am using Delphi Pump AMF0095 from Autozone. I am not a carb person so that could be an issue but I would think I would get gas out of the pump when cranking the car?

7. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    Ok a Six Cylinder! As William 623 said, you need to check the Pump operation. Either by Hand or by putting Pump in a Vice and check. Fuel Pump mounted on the Engine, you should have the Pump inlet line in a Gas Can ,with a good Level. Then you will need Someone to spin the Engine thru about 5 turns wile, you watch for a spray of fuel from the other Pump line. Be careful! Can you borrow A Electric Fuel Pump to check Flow?

8. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Does it die as soon as you roll the key back into the run position? Are the lines on the pump reversed? There is also the possibility it is sucking air somewhere between the tank and pump. So many things it could be, aren't old cars fun?

9. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    After all this checking it would appear to me that you have either a malfunctioning pump (which I doubt after two replacements) or the mechanisms that operate the pump are malfunctioning. I'm not that familiar with a six cylinder but if it is like the V8 pumping system you should remove the pump. Then check to determine if the pump rod moves back and forth when the engine is turned over? Of course there has to be some resistance against the rod to force it to move back and forth.

In other words, check the system that operates the pump to determine if it is functioning properly.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Krazy Comet likes this.
  10. Chlorin8ed

Chlorin8ed 72 Comet

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Ok I am back at it again, tonight. I took the pump off and bench tested it. It works. So I reinstalled it. I bump the engine a couple of times before i did. reinstalled it, Still no go. So I am wondering if I am not understanding this :-( I have reinstalled 6 plus times. I cannot imagine the lobe is bad. The engine only has 56000 miles on it. It ran before I replaced it (it was leaking, reason for replacing). So...

If I am understanding this correctly does the lobe rotate the lever up to pump the gas??? IMG_0716.JPG
    Do I have the correct fuel pump? IMG_0717.JPG

11. Chlorin8ed

Chlorin8ed 72 Comet

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I have LIFE!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo: I guess the eight time was a charm!!!! Now going to try and get it to idle....

CaptainComet and 71gold like this.