Best Carpet to buy...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by GrabberGT, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I got carpet from Stockinteriors com. "Made in USA" It is a one piece deal; I like the quality. I do think the 2 pc. unit is easier to install.
    I will say, there was no shortage of material; I cut-off material on both sills and foot wells. I wud buy the one pc. unit B4 buying any carpet w/ not enough material to cover the car.
    http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=20398&MakeId=8&ModelId=200

kansasGRABBER likes this.
  2. john_d

john_d Member

I'm crossed between the the green loop that came from the factory and going black with a bit higher quality.

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    It's funny, that when you look up their address, it's a UPS store in a mall....They probably drop ship direct from ACC.

Craig Selvey likes this.
  4. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    It's all made by ACC (at least the one-piece carpet).

5. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Here is conversation I had with Ben Hershkowitz, President of Newark Auto Products back in March 2013...

Hi David,
    I have been doing more research. My molding plant has one mold that as you have seen fits both the Maverick and Comet.
    As I told you, for whatever reason, we have 3 patterns. I have compared the patterns and I could combine them into 1, but to do so would require making some assumptions. If we assume right, great, if we assume wrong, not so good.
    Unless you object, I want to order a 1 piece seamless press molded carpet in 854 Caramel tan and have it shipped to my plant. I will use it to make a new pattern and then ship it to you. If you want it in 2 pieces, we can cut it in half before shipping.
    You will get a very nice molded carpet, and I will be able to put this matter to bed properly.
    The cost to you is unchanged, I will absorb the higher cost of a molded carpet to straighten out what appears to be a pattern problem.
    Does this sound OK to you?
    Best Regards,
    Ben Hershkowitz
    President
    Newark Auto Products
    973-677-9935
    Fax: 973-677-9335

Serving the Automotive Aftermarket for over 100 Years!!!

I did order the 1 piece molded and fit perfectly! At the time, I wanted the 2 piece cut and sewn, which as you all know is what originally came in our vehicles, but was told that may not be enough overlap between the pieces, so I opted for the 1 piece w/sound backing for my 73 Comet, 2 dr.
    I was very impressed with how they handled my order, to check/double check that everything was correct and from franktf's installation, things are still good!

franktf, how much overlap did you have between your 2 piece cut/sewn??

Ben can be contacted at Newark Auto Products 973 677 9935

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  6. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    So far, I'm looking at going with the ACC extra plush with the MATT backing. Anyone have ideas on how to get molded carpet for the rear seat pan. I run the car without a rear seat at events to save weight. It would look much nicer if the floor under the seat were carpeted as well.

I have 2 layers of dynamat down which I regret doing. I'd like to peel as much up as I can but its pretty well stuck for good. For anyone looking at using dynamat/fatmat/peel and stick... whatever. Do not cover the entire floor as its not necessary. Its said that 25% cvg does about as much sound dampening as your going to get. It may block a little more heat that way but there are other products that will block heat more efficiently with less weight. Having said that, the dynamat with Jute and the MASS backing of the carpet should make for a pretty good barrier for heat and sound.

7. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Off the top of my head it was at least 2 inches, but I will look at it and let you know.....

8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    if a 1 piece is to fit like a glove and you cut it in half...how would you have any lap at the joint?
    I can see a 2 piece being made to fit but not a 1 piece cut in half.

9. Hottrod1991

Hottrod1991 Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick
    I think i got my carpet.from autocrafters? It didnt fit like a glove..too much excess by trans tunnel.

As for the CLD Its only for structural noise/vibration which is why you only need 25 percent coverage as its not for road noise/airbourne noice.

Best way to get it off is heat gun and putty knife and mineral spirits to clean the glue off

i hear dry ice works but eh

10. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Since I last talked to Newark 2 years ago, they only had the molded 1 piece and would cut it in half to
    make the 2 piece, but may have gap in between. They may have made other patterns, such as 2 piece
    cut/sewn with the correct overlap that franktf has installed in his car. As you know, the original carpets
    where 2 piece with overlap of approx. 2"
    If franktf can confirm the overlap, I may order a 2 piece version too, easier to remove/install if you are
    just doing some work on the front floor pan/firewall area if heater core leaks and have to remove........

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  11. bkcha

bkcha Member

Vehicle:
    71 Gabber
    Could you not call and see if they would make one with extra left on the end to cover where the seat would be. I think the worst they would so is no...

12. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    My ACC carpet was junk, too short on the sides and didnt fit AT ALL. Most of that was attributable to the fact that I had to adapt the 71 and up carpet to fit the 70 floor and tunnel. Next time (if I do another 70) will be done by a professional interior guy, am thinking it would be worth the bigger cost.

13. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I guess you could use a piece of the old carpet to bridge the gap between the two. if its faded just spray it with paint...:huh:

14. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I ended up ordering the ACC with the heavy pile and Mass backing. It is good quality stuff and only weighs 5lbs more than the standard carpet that I took out. Because of the Mass backing and cold temps, It was difficult to install. Its in now though and Im very pleased. Th only thing was I wish I had the chance to order it without the jute. I tried pulling it off so I could glue on my own layer of sound deadening but that stuff is on there for good. They use the GOOD glue.

73curtis likes this.