Best way to remove oil from sheet metal?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by bbebber, Nov 9, 2009.

1. kenseth17

kenseth17 Member

Probably best to use a wax and grease remover, like already has been mentioned. Its a product that is designed for removiing contaminants to prep for painting. It should be applyed with a clean rag, and follow right behind with a clean dry rag with the other hand before it evaporates. A Wax and grease remove will float contaminates to the top, hense following behind with the clean dry rag before it evaporates to remove them. And be sure to allow a good amount of time to be sure all has evaporated, before doing any painting or priming.
    I also don't think something like brake cleaner would be too great to be painting over. Solvents such as reducer or lacquer thinner are really not a good idea, as they evaporate too fast, and you just end up spreading the contaminate around, not removing it.Its not what there made to be used for. Also a cheaper lacquer thinner, and possibly brake cleaners likely would contain impurities and leave a film on the surface. I know I wouldn't want any wd40 sprayed anywhere near where I was painting.
    Not sure about mek, as really don't have experience with it. I'd use a product like wax and grease remover who purpose is for removing oils and contaminates before painting.
    Use a wax and grease remover, since its a product designed for removing contaimants before painting.

2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Purple Power and a pressure washer.. Once it drys, wipe it down with a lint free cloth and acetone. Then paint.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. bbebber

bbebber Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick (First Car)
    Thanks! I was thinking about purple power, mainly b/c I already have it. If the rain ever stops I believe I'll tackle it. Thanks again!