black dash question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by JDM_GUY, Mar 3, 2009.

1. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Paint color

Okay. I had my memory refreshed in researching this topic. I had kept the empty paint cans in the event that I ever needed to get any more for touchups etc.

I remembered that I did need to do some touchup painting on my doors 2 yrs. ago, and I had trouble finding 'dark charcoal metallic'. I even remembered calling Dupli-Color and asking if I could order the same paint code that I had used the first time. The code number was discontinued according to their corporate office. Duplicolor T90 was supposedly the same paint, but it is now called 'black metallic' and is marketed for Truck, Van & SUV touchup. I did buy some from a local parts store, and it matched pretty well. I can see where I touched up with the spray, but there is not really a color difference. I can just see where I sprayed an area with fresh paint-very hard to see.

So, Duplicolor T90 Black Metallic will work:
    https://www.autozone.com/selectedZi...Detail/initialR,705424/shopping/selectZip.htm

Painted doors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare those to the original factory painted dash below.
    [​IMG]

Note: the flash used in these pics brings out a lot of the metal flake in the paint. It looks lighter in these pics than it does to the eye in person.

Just make sure that you clean, scrub and use a chemical to remove any contaminants, oils or old paint from the doors before painting. The area where people put their arms on doors are famous for rusting and sucking up body oils. This area will fisheye with lacquer paint if not cleaned properly.

Good luck. :thumbs2:

Seth

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    From the factory ... only the dash is Charcoal metallic ... all other metal in the car is plain old black.

3. 1973Maverick357

1973Maverick357 Cooler then a Camaro

Vehicle:
    1976 stallion,1973 2dr mav,1975 2 dr comet,1964 F100,1970 Mav Grabber
    Is that the best can paint to use for doors dash and interior parts?

4. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Curious point?

Dan, I have seen that to be the case on many cars. But unless mine were repainted prior to getting the car in 1984, they had metallic paint from the factory. I've seen metallic paint on other car doors as well. So, I went back with the closest match.

Below is a pic that I had saved from a car that was for sale a few yrs. ago. It was represented as a low mileage unmolested car. I saved this pic because of the leather wrapped steering wheel. This was a '74 Comet GT. Note the color of the doors. Metallic?
    Maybe they changed it in later years?

[​IMG]

5. 1973Maverick357

1973Maverick357 Cooler then a Camaro

Vehicle:
    1976 stallion,1973 2dr mav,1975 2 dr comet,1964 F100,1970 Mav Grabber
    I got two cans of that paint today it was $6.49 a can.Will that paint last long? And i want that awesome console! Your maverick looks awesome!

6. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Paint question.

I don't drive mine daily, so it has held up nicely for me. I guess it depends on how much exposure it gets. Just keep it clean with a damp rag and you should be fine. I don't put armour all or furniture polish on them like some people. They aren't that shiny when there is no camera flash.

Oh, mine is a Comet.

Console: that is a '71-'73 Mustang/Cougar console. I just don't like the front where it ends. I have a gauge trio hanging over the front of it from
    the lower dash so that keeps it from looking too out of place. The Mustang/Cougar had an extension/center console that met with it.

7. steven brown

steven brown Member

Vehicle:
    1971 maverick
    black 71 w/air dash

I hope this is a good enough pic.

Attached Files: