Borrowed a gas mig from Rolandag2...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Aug 21, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I may still mess with it a bit. I just don't know the basics. I was thinking cooler was better, not hotter. What about speed of feed?

I can do well with thick stuff, like on the shock tower cuts. but sheet metal was nasty with lots of burning through.

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    It is a paradox - the flux wire welds best when used really hot - but sheetmetal requires lower temps to keep from burning through. That is why flux wire welders are very tricky to use on thin metal. I do thin stuff in very short bursts and work in multiple spots to prevent warping. I mean short like a 1/2" bead max on thin stuff. As far as speed goes, I run my wire pretty fast. If you are getting sputtering, play with the speed (increase it) to see if that makes it smoother. You need to find the right balance of heat and speed. Unfortunately, all these budget welders act differently and there is no such thing as a setting that works for all. Each welder needs to be played with to find what works best.

One other note - I try and get my ground clamp as close as possible to the weld. The less the current needs to flow through other metal to get from point A to point B the better.

3. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Also make sure the lead cord is as straight as possible. If you have any kinks in it that will also cause problems.

4. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Cool, I have some small holes in my trans tunnel from old shifter hookup, I might mess with my wire-feed and try it there (it will be covered with carpet). If I can't get it to work, I still have rolandag's for another week...