brake ?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by scrapper60, Apr 20, 2015.

1. scrapper60

scrapper60 MCCI Member

76 Maverick. changed from power brakes to manual brakes. stock disc on front, stock drums on rear. installed new manual master cylinder. did not change prop valve. bled brakes. good pedal but slow in stopping.
    ideas??????

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    So you are still using the power brake prop valve? Not sure if that is your problem...but it might be.

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    brake M/C rod...:huh:

4. Paul Allen

Paul Allen The Maverick is back!

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Make sure you have a disc brake master cylinder, not a drum brake one. Some have different piston diameters. I added after market disc brakes on mine, had to upgrade the master cylinder to 1.125 in. Not sure what the 76 requires, but make sure you use a cylinder from a disc brake car, not a drum brake one. Hope this helps!

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    The larger the bore of the M/C, the more fluid that is moved = harder pedal...

If I'd have known about the early Chevette M/C that is only 3/4" & uses exact size fittings as the early drum brake Mav/Comet, that's what I'd have used(and may switch yet)... There could be a possibility it's too small so would have excessive pedal travel, but a friend who auto crosses a '65 Stang uses similar and brakes are great...

He was told by everyone that the big bore M/C was way to go, said he had to all but use both feet to get anywhere near locking it up...

6. cyclonewill

cyclonewill Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick - (2)72 Maverick- 64 comet cyclone- 69 mustang 70 cougar -69 Ranchero - 73 Pinto
    If I remember the basic hydraulics class I took, larger bore master= more volume(more travel) & less pressure on the slave (caliper) where as smaller bore = less travel & higher pressure.

7. scrapper60

scrapper60 MCCI Member

thanks alot for the replies. took it to a friend. after re bleeding and adjusting,works fine. just needed a finer tune up on system.

Craig Selvey likes this.