BUMPER SWAP:: Large to Small ????

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by TreyF73, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TreyF73

TreyF73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    You have large bumpers. Small bumpers are very thin, and well, small. lol.

2. drag72mav

drag72mav Member

Vehicle:
    bumper swap

hey guys, I'm doin the bumper swap right now, have the rear bumper (amazingly in alright shape, front bumper gonna have to be rechromed) with one of the mounting brackets, extensions, that came off of the 76, think I took off the mounting brackets from the 72....? hope so, gonna have to look away! If not does anybody have any mounting brackets?only need one bracket. Have to do a little grindin due to the 76 bumper rotting out on the left side, I haven't been able to fit the bumper in yet but the bumper looked to hang out further from the rear end, will anything need to be fabricated after I take out all the ***rusty bolts***? and I mean rusty! maybe I'm just crazy and need to do the work!

3. PAINTANK

PAINTANK Cometosis Obsessivus

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr
    I too would like the smaller bumper but have the huge one.
    I took mine off and disassembled it to straighten it out and while it was apart I simply left the ridiculous bumper guards off. That in and of itself helped the overall appearance. I tried to remove the bumper mounts from the frame and found that the four bolts were either rusted fast or stripped because I could only get one loosened and it didn't back out.
    I didn't know I could move the mounts back on the frame. I was going to use a cutting torch to remove a few inches and reweld the ends back together.
    New strategy:
    Remove the bumper mounts
    move them back one hole
    drill new mount holes
    install second bolts in new holes
    install 72 valence on old bumper
    re install bumper in cooler location
    enjoy

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  4. drag72mav

drag72mav Member

Vehicle:
    I did grind off the rusted bolts on the mounts where the big bumper lays flush, I found that after grinded the fickered up rusted bolts that was the best way to gettin them out, grinded a little and walla, so u can notch the mount back?! That's kewl, so can I hit them back to move them right into the rear end or is it the bolts down near the frame? the ol blue wrench sure came in handy loosenin some of the rusty bolts! thanks for the help! really excited guys :) it makes sense from what I was reading that you would have more space without the mounts?? just drill some holes, I can't remember if the 72 years had the big old mounts or not...?? when I took out the 72 bumper correct if I'm wrong, it almost seemed like there were holes just beneath the trunk, long forgotten though! will have some pictures soon guys! :wine: