C4 column to floor shift

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by jmontg01, Sep 23, 2011.

1. jmontg01

jmontg01 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 2dr
    I remember someone posting a pic or link to an article about swapping a c4 column to a floor. I am especially interested in addressing the linkage or shift arm on the transmission can anyone help....please!!!

2. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    This depends on what exact type of setup that you wish to have.

There are different scenarios, depending on whether you want to go with a completely Factory style setup, or just have an aftermarket floor shifter setup.

Let us know more of what you are wanting for YOUR car....and the Mav/Comet guys on here can help you more. :)

3. jmontg01

jmontg01 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 2dr
    What I am trying to do is leave the column shift linkage in play to leave the neutral safety switch and gear indicator functioning. I have removed the column shifter and intend to seal off the shifter opening before prime and repaint. What I am really curious about is connecting the floor shifter and rod to the transmission so that it functions in sync with the column shift linkage. I am using a 66 mustang floor shifter, I have a floor hump if needed I just need to know the best way to connect everything. In the past, I ran accross a link showing pics of how others had connected in a similar manner. I hope this makes sense. If I remember correctly, one showed how they welded a tab on the existing linkage a certain degree off from the column shift rod tab and both would function in sync.

4. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    If you decide to weld up your own Double-Sided Tranny Manual Lever, then others on here that have done that, can help you on here.

You CAN still use your Column Shift Steering Column, with your 66 Mustang Auto Floor Shifter, and here is a list of the parts, or fabricated parts you will need for everything to work together:

1. The Floor Shifter to Tranny Rod. (part numbers and pictures on the 3rd page of my project thread, link in my signature)

2. Column Lock Rod. (Life-Safety Lock for Transmission)

3. Double-sided Manual Transmission Lever, so both a shift rod and column lock rod will connect. Floor shifter rod connects to Top hole, and Column Lock Rod to bottom)

4 An original Factory Steering Column that came with a Auto Floor shift Maverick, or a Factory Steering Column that came with a Auto Column Shift Maverick.

- You will also need the various rod connector bolts, washers, bushings, neutral safety switch, firewall wiring harness if you use the tranny mounted neutral safety, etc...I have the part numbers and sources for most of these also.

** And just so you know...the purpose of the Column Lock Rod was a Life Safety device, that prevents the Floor Shifter from being moved out of "Park", when the keyswitch is in the "OFF" position. This is so that you can take your keys out of the ignition, and not worry about an unattended child, shifting the car into neutral, and the car rolling down a hill, and into a lake, or oncoming traffic.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  5. fordness

fordness Member

Vehicle:
    ford ranger & 75 MAVERICK
    How do I hook up the reverse lights after the moving the shifter to the floor. Automatic B&M sport shifter?

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    depends on what shifter you have. mine (B&M) came with the ...back up and neutral safety switches. move your column shifter wires to the floor shift switches.

7. fordness

fordness Member

Vehicle:
    ford ranger & 75 MAVERICK
    Ok thanks buddy