C4 transmission broken C6 fit?

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by Gmur, May 29, 2017.

1. Gmur

Gmur Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Hi all, i am new to the forum as of yesterday. This evening i started to prep everything to pull the transmission out tommorow to replace the flexplate. When i got to the filter in the pan. I relized it was almost 100% full of old gasket. Or what looks like old gasket, picture below. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before. And where it might have came from. The old pan gasket is still fully intact.

Thanks,
    Greg

EDIT:

There is a c6 with a c4 bellhousing availible in my area for a good price. Any idea how hard it is to put a c6 into a maverick tunnel being a bigger transmission.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Looks like it might be band material, you can see the intermediate band in the front of the transmission. Does transmission have any shifting issues

3. Gmur

Gmur Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Well that sucks. Yes it has shifting issues. Shifts super hard into reverse. And doesnt shift when needed sometimes. Band material would make more sence then a gasket.

4. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Transmission also has a low/reverse band in it toward the tail of the transmission that you cant see until torn down, look at it this way at least you were taking the tranny out anyways and when repaired it will be one less thing that can go wrong and leave you stranded

5. Gmur

Gmur Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    My thoughts exactly. Ill either find a replacment. Or get it rebuilt.

6. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I wud stick w/ the C4, lot less hassle, bolt in no mod's needed.

7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Unless modified, a C6 doesn't have a removable bell housing... The were some C6 with small block pattern , were common in trucks... I think you'll find C6 longer and have 31 spline output shaft, so your D/S isn't gonna fit...

8. Gmur

Gmur Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Fair enough. It says it has a c4 belhousing. But i feel like the tunnel would be too small. Crossmember might be in wrong spot. And changing the driveshaft might be more of a pain then what a rebuild would cost.

9. Maverocket

Maverocket Bob Williams

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav, 62 F100 unibody
    I put a C6 in my 69.5 for a short time. The tunnel was massaged with a bfh and the top of the crossmember brace had to be removed. The C6 is two inches longer and required a custom crossmember, shorter driveshaft, different yoke and a cable shifter. With the hp parts available for the C4 now I wouldn't do it again!

Gmur and mojo like this.
  10. Gmur

Gmur Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Awesome. Thanks for the help all!. Transmission is out and sitting on the table waiting to figure out what to do with it.

11. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Eons ago I built a C4 and it had a similar issue, would lockup in 2nd... Had the transmission guy at a local dealer go through it, same deal... After him going through it twice, I finally gave him another one to rebuild and told him to keep the first... Well a couple years later he told me he fixed it...

So what was problem?? The valve inside transmission the modulator operates was in backwards... I remembered then it had fallen out and I apparently installed it wrong position... He said that he'd always thought they would not fit backwards...