Calvert split mono leafs

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by spork1o1, Feb 28, 2017.

1. groberts101

groberts101 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Cool.. now short of your car being in the garage.. the puzzle is almost complete. :D

I do this kinda hotrod stuff long enough that I fully and completely understand how this speed stuff snowballs out of control. My prized bullet ain't even built yet and I'm already day dreaming of twin turbo's since "I have to make custom headers anyways.. so, why not run the collectors to the front and avoid all the chassis/trans tunnel limitations?". I used to rationalize with my wife that some mod's were good for "durability or fuel economy".. but she ain't buyin' those lines of crap any more these days. All my engine powered stuff usually ends up being violent and way too fast to be driven daily.. so that cat never even fully made it into the bag to begin with.

As for the ride offer.. hell, T.. I doubt even a long ride to prison would feel like a bad ride in that car. Easily make a grown man grin wider than little kids. Our weather's changing quicker than usual up here but I'm surely jealous of all the extra road miles you guys get living in the longer warm season states. Hope you got backseats though.. or my 2 boys will be pissed! They have the same exact adrenaline starved curse as we do.

looking forward to your garage entry.. later T.

2. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I just seen this thread..... I had to move my rear back a half inch too with my split monos.....

3. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    What method did you use to move it back?
    Drill new hole in front half of spring or fill and really drill the perch and bottom plate.

4. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I move the hole location in both halves of the spring..... If you only do one half you will change the length of the spring, if you drill both halves you will just move the pin back to center the rear.....

5. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
    Has anyone mentioned this to Calvert? I'm sure they could modify new springs to accomodate this if it's universal to everyone. I have a set still awaiting installation (I know, I know...) and haven't seen them on mine to notice it yet. Has me wondering though...

6. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I personally have not told them, I just marked it up to another part not fitting exactly right.....Pretty much like every other part I buy that is supposed to fit(both for mine and all the cars at work we do)..... I am surprised when something actually fits without a modification of some kind anymore.....