Carb Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Masta T, Jan 19, 2014.

1. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Yep, I would probably get the all aluminum version.

2. Hottrod1991

Hottrod1991 Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick
    yeah, im sure its an improved resin as I doubt they want to repeat carters problem.
    but non polished aluminum is cheaper then this..and polished aluminum is the most expensive of the 3
    but easier to be safe then sorry to just get cheaper AL body

3. Masta T

Masta T 1337 |\/|4\/3R1(K

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302
    Just wanted to give a update. I went with the weiand stealth 8020, and a demon street carb 1901. Finally got it all put together, and everything went smoothly. I got to say there is a substantial difference from before, so much more power and response, it sounds quite different now too. Demon was very easy to install, just needed an additional bracket to hold the spring for the kickdown, and had to bend the kickdown bar a little to get it to sit good. Didn't have to do any tuning on it, just adjust the timing some, and now runs great. Thank you everything for your advise.

4. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    So now that we are this far out from your install, how are things working, responding etc?

5. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Update: the three twos are now 16 years old and still no leaks, still never been adjusted. And they sit for a month at a time between fire-ups with a mixture of 93 E10 and conventional 91

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I ran the Street Demon for a year or so on mine, I loved it. The engine absolutely screamed when that big secondary opened. :D

7. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    I went with Jason W Thompson's idea: DSCF9191.JPG
    They're sitting on my Blueprint Engines 347. This manifold will only use Edelbrock Perfomer carbs (or whatever preceded them.)

Bruce

jasonwthompson and baddad457 like this.
  8. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Not my choice for carbs, but it's better than a boring single four setup :thumbs2: I'd thought about using an Air Gap 2x4 manifold with two 350 cfm Holley 2 bbls someday.

9. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    I've had this intake for years before finally getting an engine worthy of it. Everything I had read said that Holley's wouldn't fit no how, no way not even sideways. I think it's the carb spacing that is the limitation. You're right in that it has more 'curb appeal' than a single quad.

Bruce
    IMG_5979.JPG

10. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Yea, the pads are too close together for Holley 4 bbls to fit. (their 2 bbls would though with 2bbl to 4 bbl spacers on it) Offenhauser used to make offset spacers to allow them to fit their 2x4 intakes, which had the same spacing the Edelbrock has. I went with the 3x2 setup sheerly due to the sound they make at WOT. Like no other carb setup I know of. Got hooked on this when I heard a Pontiac 3x2 setup when in highschool (with quiet mufflers) Different than a single four and a 2x4.

11. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I missed out on an Edelbrock cross ram not too long ago. Drug my feet because I plan to run EFI and when I finally decided I should have it just to have it it was gone.

Has a tri power on my GTO for a while, you are right, they have a very distinct sound!

12. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I'm still breaking in the engine so I haven't heard them howling yet plus my exhaust is pretty loud. After we do some major chassis work I plan to reroute the tail pipes. You appear to know carburetors pretty well can you tell me what would fit this intake?
    IMG_5978.JPG
    It fits a 302 Ford bock and I believe it would require coolant ports drilled into it in the places at the bottom of the picture as well as crank trigger ignition. From what I've been able to learn it was for an experimental 327 cubic inch Ford engine.

Bruce

13. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Sorry it took so long to get back here, been a long week
    4 carbs ? I'd think Webers. But I could be wrong. That would be super sexy though o_O:thumbs2: You are correct about having to drill and tap those bosses for the coolant ports. You'd need a plug for the distributor hole too. I wonder if an Explorer distributor stub would fit under it ?

14. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking Webers too. It would definitely require a distributor stub to drive the oil pump. It would also require someone who fully understands carburetor synchronization and fine tuning them to get the engine to run properly. I doubt I will ever use it but I couldn't resist buying it when it was presented to me years ago.

Bruce

15. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Are there any casting numbers on that intake?