chrome plate off of plastic

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by tattarat, Mar 17, 2007.

1. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

any harsh chemicals will hurt the plastic.. i would be careful using anything

trial and error i suppose.. but if you only have what you have, and you mess one up, you will be looking in junkyards pretty soon

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    We used to use oven cleaner on model cars, always worked good.

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber

i got one...:tiphat:

...:cool: ...

4. John B

John B Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Mav
    I don't know if the chrome on those side markers is the same as that used on model cars (frankly I think it is), but we modellers use EasyOff oven cleaner to remove chrome. Leave it on for about 5-10 minutes and try using an old tooth brush to scrub it clean. Amazingly it doesn't touch the plastic, and when rinsed well, can be painted as you wish. John B

5. tattarat

tattarat Member

Vehicle:
    67 Mustangs FB 68 Cougar XR7-G 70 Cyclone Spoiler 70 Montego MX hrdtp 70 Ranchero 71 Torino GT 71 Torino GT convt 71 Cyclone Spoiler Clone, 71 Grabber Clone 95 Mustang GT convt F-250 Heavy Duty
    Here's what I found:

This is for the sport light bezels ( not on the lights themselves 'cuz they are metal / but on the plastic bezels or surrounds... whatever you want to call them ): The chrome is too thick for any of the chemical means. Window cleaner did nothing more than make them very clean :rolleyes:. Easy off softened the plastic and I had to leave it sit to re-harden:yikes:. I used to use easy off on model cars to strip paint... so it does work for that, but ya gotta be careful! I flaked all of the chrome off of the really bad one in about :eek: 6 hours ... would have been better off buying another one... but it did come out very nice. My fingers hurt :cry:... Fortunately, the other bezel is in much better shape and does not have any bubbles. Sand paper just caused the bubbles to flex in and out kinda like walking on a hardwood floor that was contact cemented to an uneven concrete surface so it pops and snaps as the glue grabs hold, the releases... The other probelm w/ the sand paper on the bubbly one was: The plastic sands faster than the plating. The plating is actually thick enough you can see the nickel, copper, and chrome. NOTE! The sand paper worked very well on the good bezel. Started w/ 150, then 180, then 220, and it looks great... but on sharp edges, I have a feeling the primer will lift the chrome... dunno yet but will see and will report back... Again, the razor blade worked well. Was a tedious task and I'd buy a new bezel first before I did it again.:cool: Thanks for all of the ideas!!!