Coil spring saddle walking

Discussion in 'Technical' started by jasonwthompson, Jun 20, 2016.

1. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Just replaced both coil spring saddles. The passenger side saddle had slid on the mounting shaft towards the rear of the car and the driver side had slid towards the front of the car. Does this mean that the upper control arms are not level, or perpendicular to the coil spring?

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Have you cut the springs for ride height or done any wheelies lately. LOL

3. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    They are stock springs, and I try to keep the wheelies to a minimum, the police don't seem to like them.

4. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Was this a problem B4 u replaced the OE saddles w/ the rollers? I have pretty much same setup, but have not finished the install yet. Have the SPC's and roller saddles; I have yet to do passenger side so hope this is not an issue here.
    I am trying to picture how the saddle cud slip once mounted to the A-arm? Did installing the SPC arms raise/increase ur ride height -- I hope not!

5. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    So I have figured out what the problem was. On the p.o.s. factory type saddles that I reused when the SPC upper arms were installed, the mounting shaft is squared off and longer than it should be. This caused one end of the saddle mounting shaft to not sit flat on the upper arm as it rested on the weld instead of sitting flush on the arm. After double checking, the roller spring perches I just installed do not have that problem. Everett, the ride height dropped 1/2 an inch.
    upload_2016-6-22_8-1-24.png

6. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I have been looking our for your response to this issue. Thanks for insight; maybe our experience will help others going this route!
    Glad u figured it out. I noticed the saddles/perches did not fit flat on the SPC arms B4 I installed them on the car. I ground saddle ends where they fit flat against arm floors, "where U have the red circle." I only have the drivers side installed, cuz I am also installing a new AC compressor and workin on driver side of car.
    I plan to install the pass side tomorrow and have alignment. Did you follow SPC'S recommendation on alignment specs?
    I hope all this works-out for me, cuz don't have much time to get it right b4 heading to Ohio for the Gathering....

jasonwthompson likes this.
  7. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I cannot recall what the SPC specifications were for alignment. I asked for 0 camber, 1 - 3 +caster, 1/8 toe and the same settings for left and right. It was a big difference in the driving experience.

8. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Got my SPC control arms and roller spring saddles/perches installed and will have to wait until July 5th. to get alignment. While I am into this procedure, I am having the alignment "old school" shop, install new idler arm, tie rods and lower control arms. When all parts get installed, the car will have all new or rebuilt steering and suspension.
    I need to get all this sorted out so I can get on the road by the 14th. After installing the arms, new AC compressor, cleaning up and undercoating the fender well area; this ole body have pretty much had it in the 90 degree heat.

I drove the car last evening to a cruise-in close to my house and cud tell the difference in ride and steering, although I can visually see the camber adjustment is quite-a-bit off " riding on outside tire edge". Bump steer reduced - tracking and ride quality improved. The real test will come at freeway speeds - got my fingers crossed....

jasonwthompson likes this.