Comet Hood Scoop and Grabber Spoiler Repair

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by CaptainComet, Jan 5, 2018.

1. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Even though these look a bit like they were made of fiberglass, we have established here that these pieces are made of SMC. Specialized SMC repair products have been recommended.

I started shopping for this and most of them out there seem to be two-part mixes in dual caulk tubes, and they take a specialized gun to drive them. The costs start to add up... as in more than I spent for this dinged-up scoop. o_O

Then I found this ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USC-77702-...REE-SHIPPING/182560603396?hash=item2a8175bd04

These are in pouches and come with a small tube of hardener. They look intriguing because you can mix up a small batch and not waste a mixing tip and a bunch of product in the process. More details on this whole product line can be found at the Eastwood website, too.

I am wondering if anyone here with some solid body work experience has used any USC products and if they liked them or not.

jasonwthompson likes this.
  2. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    I am almost sure you have the right stuff for the Job! We used Eastwood Co. - SMC Glue, on a SMC Corvette with Bad results. You could contact your local Car - Paint Store and check into the 3M line of glues. Two part ,single Container Tubes usually about $35. You would need The Red Glue Gun with these. Check Ebay pics for reference.

CaptainComet likes this.
  3. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    Check the 3m -08571 Red glue Gun on E Bay . Its costly ,then check with your Car-Paint Store for the correct SMC Glue.

CaptainComet likes this.
  4. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    CaptainComet likes this.
  5. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Stu,

One thing said in that article that I found really interesting is to never put solvent, or water, even on SMC to clean it off. Just use compressed air. Apparently, this stuff is really porous. Thanks for posting that.

Again, I want to ask ... I was wondering if anyone out there has used any other products by USC, and see if they found them good to work with? They do seem to have a full line of bodyworking supplies.

This set of products seems very new with few reviews. They do have other products in small squeeze pouches. Seems ideal for folks that can only do a small project at a time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    Excelent Products-USC , from my experience.

7. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Thank you sir. Appreciate the feedback.

I will be documenting what I do to this scoop. It needs three different kinds of repairs. I have been reading some more about SMC repair and have strategies pretty well visualized. Some of the ideas are borrowed from woodworking techniques, like how to clamp it up to stabilize one repair. I am hoping to figure out what the repair mix won't stick to, like maybe wax paper? ... maybe that slick plastic that Tupperware is made from? Guessing aluminum foil is out, this stuff probably loves to bond to metal. I will likely clamp it from the outside while bonding the inside of the repair of an impact fracture that still has the pieces still there and attached. Just have to line them up again. I'll probably make a wood form to clamp it to. I read that plastic drywall mesh can be used for a support material bonded inside.

It ought to be an interesting challenge. It's biggest redeeming quality is that I got the scoop pretty cheap. $40. Badly advertised on eBay a few years ago, at a slow time of year, right before the holidays.