Comet newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by User, Nov 24, 2011.

  1. User

    User New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Foothills of East TN
    Vehicle:
    1975 Comet, 1977 CJ5
    Just traded into my first Ford...kinda. I am now the owner of a 1975 Mercury Comet 2 door. Inline 6 cylinder engine, automatic gearbox. I can't lie, i've never been a Ford guy. However, I have been very impressed with this little engine. I've only had it for a few days now, but runs smooth. Odometer shoewing 80k miles, and no clue if it had already mafe a trip though the digits. Looks like someone has hacked up the top, and did a 0.5 donkey job of fixing it. Lots of body filler, and then attacked it with a red rattle can. I swear sone of these rattle can bandi need to be smacked. You can tell from the inside of trunk, jambs and engine bay this machine used to be a nice blue color.

    Anyways, looking forward to tinkering on this thing, and getting a few miles out of her as well. Already ordered a new winshield gasket (leaking badly), and a set of shocks for all 4 corners. It isnt in great shape, but still runs well so I figure it to be worth it. I will try to get a picture up when I get to a computer. Phone isn't cooperating.
     
  2. don graham

    don graham MCG State Rep

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2002
    Messages:
    15,800
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    302
    Location:
    arizona city, az.
    Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Welcome to the board.
     
  3. mojo

    mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Messages:
    5,283
    Likes Received:
    839
    Trophy Points:
    513
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Welcome to the board from Northeastern IL. Also, a Comet owner. Ur in the right place for parts and info. :Handshake​
     
  4. socalcomet

    socalcomet Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    112
    Location:
    Menifee, California
    Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    :Welcome: from SoCal

    Have you tested for cowl leaks yet? It's a pretty common issue with these cars. Try to search "cowl" and "windshield" to get info that has already been discussed here.
     
  5. mav1970

    mav1970 Bob Hatcher

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    10,633
    Likes Received:
    322
    Trophy Points:
    398
    Location:
    Mountain Top Pa
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    :Welcome: from Northeast Pennsylvania
     
  6. franktf

    franktf Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2009
    Messages:
    4,119
    Likes Received:
    338
    Trophy Points:
    206
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Pinellas Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Welcome to the site!!!!!
     

Share This Page