Comet to Mav conversion

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ladyeclectic79, Jul 19, 2006.

1. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Great looking car Sam(y)

2. Green Monster

Green Monster Exposed to Radiation.

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    :thumbs2: Sam if you don't mind, how did you black out the chrome and where did the round sport lamps come from? Sharp car!

3. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I guess I'm going to have to create a user gallery and post some pics of my cars there. I'll get around to it one of these days. And Lady please forgive me for hijacking your thread...

As far as blacking out the chrome, the real chrome (bumpers, boomerangs) were sandblasted, primed and painted with the same paint as the rest of the car. All the other trim is anodized aluminum, and that was scuffed with Scotch-Brite and painted with a satin black trim paint. The main reason I painted the bumpers is because I think the cost of re-chroming is entirely too high for what you get. I'm not cheap but I hate getting ripped off and I think that's what those re-chroming outfits do to people.

The round sport lamps are the same as those found in late 80's Mustang GTs and also some conversion pickups. I had to make my own brackets to mount them in the grille so that they could be aimed correctly. And don't worry, the grille I used was already damaged (you can't really see where) beforehand - I just couldn't bring myself to cut up a perfect one.

Thanks again for the compliments y'all :)