Complete 1972 Mercury Comet Owner's Manual Packet

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Memorabilia' started by tomthemercman, Apr 15, 2021.

1. tomthemercman

tomthemercman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
    Hi guys!
    A few weeks ago I had posted an inquiry on this forum to find out exactly what was included in a new 1972 Comet as far as new owner paperwork.
    Between some of the items I already had, what new info was posted from members here, and doing extensive on-line research, I believe I have everything except the Owner Card and the printed Consumer Information Sheet, which contained the car's VIN. Since the Owner Card is being reproduced by Marti Autoworks, I've ordered it. There's no way at this time to get the Consumer Information Sheet.
    I even called Helm, Inc., the company that printed, and still prints, all of Ford's owner and service publications. I spoke to someone who had been with them a long time. He explained that depending on the time of year, the assembly plant, and other variables, a certain year/make/model would not consistently have all of the same publications included with it throughout a model year. For example, Firestone could not possibly supply all of the tires needed, so each assembly plant would put the proper Tire Warranty Information in the car's bag, which also doubled as a litter bag.
    One thing I did do that deviates from original is to obtain a canvas pouch (off eBay for less than $10) and sew on a patch I had from many years ago to put all of these items in. They fit perfectly and I love the overall appearance. What do you guys think?
    New Owner's Manual Packets from Ford have come in these canvas-type pouches for at least 20 years now, so I thought I'd make my own.
    I've included photos of everything I've collected. I literally put this together one item at a time from eBay and from well-known automotive literature dealers. It required patience and perseverance but I think the collection was worth it.
    I hope everyone enjoys this post.
    Fordially,
    Tom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. Drifter69

Drifter69 Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick Grabber
    WOW! I've just begun this process. I have the '72 Maverick owner's Manual, and cannot find that 'Emissions Systems Warranty and Maintenance Schedules' booklet anywhere!!!! I believe it's the second most important part as it is referred to numerous times in the owner's manual for certain schedules and procedures.

I do see quite a lot of the larger Warranty Facts booklet though... That Goodyear booklet is also something I'd love to find! Nice work!

3. tomthemercman

tomthemercman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
    Thanks for the kind words. Because most of the items are generic (except for the year), I was able to find most of these items on eBay by searching for any 1972 Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury. Often, these pieces may be part of a collection, but they're usually cheap enough to buy. So, for example, type "1972 Ford F-100 owner's manual" or "1972 Lincoln Mark IV owner's manual" into the search engine and see what comes up. Because many of these models for my year weren't popular for people seeking owner's manuals, they're usually cheap. You could send a message asking if they'd sell only a specific piece. I've done that and you can occasionally get lucky.

An example is the tire warranty. I found a seller on eBay who was listing a 1972 Ford Econoline owner's packet. I won the bid at $8.00 with free shipping. It also included a pretty worn Warranty Facts, so I sold it and the owner's manual. Came out even.

Literature is fun to collect. After extensive research, I'm pretty confident that everything I show in my post is what you'll need to complete your set, except for the two warranty cards and the one-page, two-sided 8.5" x 11" Consumer Information, which has each vehicle's specific VIN and other info. I was fortunate to find mine under the driver's seat. Marti Auto Works reproduces the temporary card, but I don't think they're reproducing the other items yet.

Here are some photos of what these things look like. The temporary card is just a metal plate on a card with the owner info. hand-written on it. The permanent one is the embossed plastic card. The Consumer Information is shown as well.

Happy hunting, Drifter69.

Fordially,
    Tom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Mustang1989 likes this.
  4. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    1994 Chevrolet 383 Silverado
    Dude that's freekin' COOL!!!!

5. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I was able to get a very good Owners Manual (the green one) at a vendor at the Mecum Auction in Orlando one year. It looked new, and may have been NOS stock.

Nice job putting all of this together. I had no idea they came with this much stuff. I imagine that Goodyear tire warranty has now run out. LOL .