console

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by inline6, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    ok one more

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Your rear speaker install looks interesting...can we see that?

P.S......I think you opened up a can of worms by showing us some pictures.....now we want to see everything!! :D

3. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    Craig, you have a sharp eye there! Those speaker grilles are from a late 80's Lincoln Town Car. I also mounted speakers in the rear side panels just above the arm rests but you can't see 'em. And in case anyone wants to know, yes, those switches on the front seat bottoms are for power lumbar support (got the bladders out of an 80's Mustang) and those power door lock switches do work - got the lock actuators out of the same Mustang, but the buttons are from a T-Bird as is the radio and equalizer. Did I leave anything out??? lol :D

4. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    sorry for the glare...

5. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Sam, thanks for the additional pics. Car looks great!

Question, how did you do the vanity mirror lights? What are they out of? I was wondering if you had to do it with the headliner out?

Thanks,

6. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    You're welcome for the pics :)

The vanity mirrors are out of the same '79 Lincoln Versailles that my rear and brakes came from (got a lot for my money on that deal!). I had to lengthen the rod where they clip into the holder, just used a wooden dowel in place of the plastic one. To get power to them I fished a new wire from the dome light (since I also installed map lights, that circuit is hot at all times) to each front corner where the visors mount. I didn't have to remove the headliner and the whole install was pretty easy.

Sam

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  7. kenscomet

kenscomet Member

Vehicle:
    72 comet
    here is one out of a Monarch

Attached Files:

8. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    Nice, Ken, looks factory (y)

9. shelby j

shelby j Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Speaker Locations

Sam, how exactly did you get those speakers to fit in the rear panels? Also, do you speakers in the front panels? Sizes? Thanks

10. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    Ok, when you remove the rear side panels, there's all kinds of room behind them so you can use high quality speakers with large magnets. I used 6in. round speakers and built brackets from sheet metal to secure the speaker directly to the metal of the car. Then I cut a hole in the side panel and covered over it with the matching upholstery. Don't try to mount the speaker directly to the plastic panel, it's not strong enough to handle the weight. The speakers in the rear package tray are the standard 6x9 variety.

For the front, I used the stock mounting locations in the lower kick panels - they take a 4 in. round speaker. I also built another one of my custom brackets and put a pair of small speakers in the top center of the dash where the monaural speaker would go in a car with only an AM radio. I don't remember the exact size of those, though they're small - like 2.5 in. rounds.

Total, there are 8 speakers in the car, and the front and back use separate amplifiers. I used Ford amps out of late 80's cars - the kind that look like an erector set (they're the good ones) not the ones with the built in heat sink. The front amp is mounted under the dash, and the rear one is mounted in the trunk on the support under the package tray. The tuner and equalizer is from an '88 T-Bird and there is a Ford/Sony 10-disc changer under the driver's seat. Performance is very good, though I'm not the kind who is too picky about that sort of thing. I'm sure a true audiophile could find flaws, but as long as the radio plays, I'm happy :)