Contemplating a '73 Maverick in Montreal.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by SelfishCaesar, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SelfishCaesar

SelfishCaesar Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber Maverick
    Hey guys I've been stalking your forums for a while while researching for a potential purchase, so I figured I would finally introduce myself and ask for some advise. I have an opportunity to pick up a '73 in fairly decent shape (transmission & differential rebuilt, interior done, decent paint, etc) but while I know these aren't exactly as popular as the Mustangs of yesteryear, I'm not sure what they are really worth.

Some pictures attached from the seller.

Seller is saying everything runs as a daily driver, but some heat issues in stop/go traffic, and a steering damper shock bushing is worn. Engine is a 302 with an Edelbrock performer 289 intake manifold, hooker competition exhaust headers with custom straight pipes and an Edelbrock 600 cfm manual choke carb.

$16k CAD before any negotiations. I'm really just looking for a first fun garage project, and this seemed potentially like a better choice than say buying a factory five and building it myself .. plus I can drive this one now and modify as I find time.

Thinking of eventually doing traction bars, blacked out chrome, small bumper conversion, disc brakes, black carpeting, hood pins, electric fan and some much needed HP either in a built 302 or stroked 327 crate motor.

I'd really appreciate feedback from you guys! So much knowledge here and you really seem to be a great bunch of enthusiasts! :)

- Steve.

Attached Files:

2. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Welcome to the site from northeast Ohio!!! :tiphat:

If my calculations are correct that is about $12K USD. The seller is asking a premium price for a Maverick with issues?

You didn't say whether or not your drove the car?

SelfishCaesar likes this.
  3. SelfishCaesar

SelfishCaesar Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber Maverick
    It's actually the reverse, so more like $12K USD and change. Haven't driven it yet as I'm in Toronto for the next few months, but I will probably fly out and see it later this month in person.

4. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    What does the underside of the car look like? Folks in the know on this forum encourage pouring water in cowl to see if any water enter the pass compartment. Looks like it is/was AC car! Considering all the changes/upgrades planned, I would look to knock of a few grand. JMO. Quite sure, you will get a lot of opinions on this subject.
    Luck w/ your project and Welcome to the forum, from the Hub of the Midwest...:Handshake:

5. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    You are correct, my error. I was just going to make the change when I received your reply. It is my understanding these cars in good shape are difficult to find in Canada? Depending on how the test drive goes and how it looks other than in the pictures the price may be reasonable.

You could end up spending a lot more on repairing and updating a rusted Maverick!!!!!!

SelfishCaesar and mojo like this.
  6. SelfishCaesar

SelfishCaesar Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber Maverick
    Thanks guys I've asked for undercarriage pics and a compression test for starters. I have a mechanic buddy in that neck of the woods that will swing by this week and take a first look for me. I'd never seen a Maverick before coming across this one, but for some reason I just fell in love with the look of it.

7. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    :Welcome: from Northeastern Pennsylvania

8. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Looks like a stock-ish radiator with no fan shroud. That combo on a modified engine says high heat at stop lights. Your friend mechanic will be the best thing you can do right now. If the car checks out $12K USD seems in the ballpark.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I can take a look at the car in person and take other pictures if you would like.

10. SelfishCaesar

SelfishCaesar Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber Maverick
    That would be very much appreciated! I didn't realize that you were local to that area, but I wouldn't want to put you out of your way if it's an inconvenience. My friend is a mechanic on DSM mostly, he built and races his Eclipse on the strip so he's by no means an authority on Mavericks. If you could take a quick look and give me your feedback I would definitely be much more confident in closing the deal.

11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :Welcome:...:Handshake:

I would want to know...what's under the paint...see if he has any before and during pics of the bodywork/painting process.
    we had a car on here the other day with a $30K paint job on a rust free body...:yup:

Crazy Larry likes this.
  12. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Welcome from Portland, OR.

13. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

No problem, its not too far from where I live. I called and there was no answer. Ill call again on Monday.

71gold likes this.
  14. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Car cleans up nice ! I think for 16 large .. there shouldn't be ANY issues that you should have to deal with .. The overheating aspect would concern me .. Had this engine ever been ' overheated' ? Why hasn't the overheating been
    addressed ? Just my take on it .. I believe eleven would be a reasonable figure.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

15. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    :Welcome: from Atlantic Canada! That particular car has been for sale for literally 10 or more years!! They have always wanted big money for it ($20K+). I remember seeing it for sale on Kijiji on and off for years. I believe it's the same seller. I think I even have some other pictures of it saved to my computer at work. I have never seen it in person.

Good to see another Canadian on the boards here! :Handshake: