Convertable... part 2

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Mavaholic, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    To answer your questions,
    Yes, I have a power top for it.
    Yes, I will strenfghen the chassis the exact way they did the mustang. All new reproduction parts came with the mustang chassis so its just a matter of making them fit.
    I wasent sure if this would work. I was going to junk the 69.5 anyway, so I figured I had nothing to loose. I have a real nice 71 that is 99% rust free that I bought from the original owner. I didnt want to cut that car up until I know this will work.
    My plan is to cut the window frame off the maverick doors. Then get a set of mustang doors. All the glass regulators bolt to the inside panel. So I plan on cutting the inside panels off the maverick and welding the inside panels off the mustang to the maverick door. Its just a matter of setting them in the right position and blending them in. I will then be able to buy off the shelf mustang weather stripping for the whole top including window seals. The rear window bolts to the subassemble so that part is taken care of.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    The yellow 73 that I cut the top off of was very, very rusty. The car did not buckle and I could still open the doors. I wouldn't recommend leaving it that way though....I am sure in time it would have buckled.....but still interesting that it didn't even after opening the doors. I would say once I cut the roof...the car "flexed" in about half an inch....not much at all.